Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI adjustible fuel pressure regulator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lamberthkp, May 23, 2006.

1. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

for those of yall with TBI engines just seeing wich regulator yall are running if so, i am going to get a custom chip have everything but a computor to run the program but will have one in a few weeks, but i did a search and found were some members ran the regulators and bumped up the timing right now im at 8 btdc for it to run some what decent at 0 idles great until i go down the road then it lunges and backfires through the tbi or something something pops under there going down the road. so i thought i would give this a try.
    adjustible fuel regulator part # jet-61500 (10-20psi)

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...rt=JET-61500&N=400201+310463+115&autoview=sku

for those of you who run this set up please put engine mods and timing settings and how much psi you run thanks Keenan

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When I put my TBI 454 in my Blazer I ran the Jet regulator for a while. It worked alright but in my case I ending up beeing rich at idle and still lean at WOT. I ended up getting the GM vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator. I don't know the number off the top of my head but the guys at www.454ss.com and sure help you out. I do recall someone mentioning that it has been discontinued. Right now, my FP sits at 12psi at idle and about 17 psi at WOT. The is on a 454 with FT pistons running 8.5:1 compression and the GM truck torque cam. Everything seems pretty good. I still need to do a little tuning though but I figure I will put in a heated O2 and hookup the VSS before I condem the PROM. Check out the pics in my profile to see some of the VRFPR. I just hooked it up to manifold vacuum and haven't touched it since.

Chris

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use the Jet one and it seems ok but some on here have had problems with them. I bought one of the VRFPRs that fortcollinsram talks of but they don't work on small blocks without changing the spring as they'll give you way too much fuel.
    You should run your timing at zero and let the ecm take care of advance. You can mess with it on a chip.
    I'm running 355, flat tops, Edelbrock cam and intake, no cat and Borla sportsman muffler all on a stock chip and it's fine. I've got all the chip burning stuff and have messed with it but haven't had enough time to set it up properly and as it runs so good stock I'm in no hurry to try it. I will do but I've got so much more going on with suspension and steering it can wait for now!

4. lamberthkp

well i might try to set at 0 again today, when i did that this weekend idles great not rich not lean but i drive down the road about a mile and then i here a pop under the hood like backfire or something like that but thats only when i get on the gas, but once it does that and i back off the gas it will lung down the road like im giving it gas and then letting off of it is what it feels like.
    how long does it take for the ECM to adjust to changes like 30 miles or something or is there like a set #. thanks

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My regulator is one from xtreme fi on ebay. Currently I have it set to about 18 psi, but things are a little rich at the lower rpms. So, I'll probably be bumping it down soon.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  6. southernspeed

Have you run WINaldl or anything similar? Sounds like you have more of a problem than an FPR.

7. lamberthkp

i have it and the cable but my computer does not have a serial port i have the usb adaptor but it wont work with it. right now im waiting on a friend to come off leave who is giving me a old laptop with it.
    i'll be glad when i get it fixed because the power lag is killin me.

8. lamberthkp

well i will look on ebay and on the net for one of these GM vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator. would just like to do something to hold me over untill i can get everything to have a chip burned.

9. southernspeed

Like I said though, you WILL need to change the internal spring or you're gonna run real rich.

10. lamberthkp

hey are you memeber in that club or know someone who is that can ask about that vacum referenced fuel pressure regulator i have been hunting around for one but so far have only found them for them little rice burner cars. or if you find out what that part # might be let me know thanks Keenan

11. lamberthkp

can i get this moved to the injection section?

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Thirdgeneration.org has the full skinny on this deal...

13. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I just took my stock FPR and made it adjustable. There was a little pin tacked in the center of the adjusting screw and I removed it. Stock setting the pressure was 9.25 psi, I upped it to 11.75 psi and it runs fine. Not rich or lean.