Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI air cleaner options?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EZdoesit, Dec 7, 2001.

1. EZdoesit

EZdoesit Registered Member

Ok, I was working under the hood of my truck the other day and I was looking at the stock snorkel air cleaner setup and I was thinking that this thing has to be a major air restriction with such a small opening on the air cleaner housing itself.
    What is my best option for replacing this thing? Can I just swap on an open element setup with a K&N? What about the tube from the smog pump? should I just ditch the smog pump altogether? I don't need to pass any emissions tests.

87 K5, all stock so far, except for some rust

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you think that opening is small, take a look at the size of the throttle blades. [​IMG] I just run a K&N filter in the stock housing.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If your state dosen't check to see if your pumping smog.... then don't pump smog. I don't have any kind of emissions testing here in Michigan so off went all that junk, along with the cat....

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I run a 14x3 open air cleaner on my TBI. It's okay, didn't help with mileage and runs like crap when cold, but other than that, I like it.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you think about it (and look at the throttle blades as HarryH3 said) WOT is the only time you MIGHT exceed the flow capabilities of the air cleaner housing snorkel. (probably more a problem with a 750 or 800 CFM Q-jet than TBI though)

If your air cleaner setup (snorkel, filter) can flow whatever the TBI is rated for (500cfm?) making the snorkel bigger won't help. And if it IS rated at 500cfm, I have a feeling the snorkel flows just about that much.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The other nice thing is that the snorkel sucks in nice (relatively) cool air from the grille area. An open element is sucking in the hot air coming through the radiator.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. EZdoesit

EZdoesit Registered Member

Well, I certainly understand the benefit of the snorkel and the cold air, it's just that the inlet on the housing looks small and I was just thinking of ways that I could possibly get a little free power and mileage. If it does flow 500 cfm or whatever I'm sure that's plenty for my engine. I'll probably just use a K&amp;N in the stock housing I guess.

87 K5, all stock so far, except for some rust

8. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

What size is the opening, my 90 is about 2 1/2"X 5" or so.

9. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Another advantage to the stock setup is it helps keep water out of your engine!

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Banks also makes a bigger intake system. It uses the big air cleaner housing like the old carb set up and uses alot bigger duct and flows alot more air.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

I just took out the little circular piece in the radiator support, and wired the duct in place. I can' t feel a difference that way or with that piece in. For that matter I didn't notice any difference with out the duct, or with the air cleaner lid flipped for that matter, and all that was with a K&amp;N.
    As far I as I know, it would be against the law to remove any smop equipment in any state. Here in Texas though cats aren't considered part of the emissions system until 1984, so on any vehicle up to '84 they can be removed with no problems(but who can tell if they have been hollowed out??). Under the hood that is a different story, all smog equipment has to be there, including the duct running from the core support to the air cleaner(there is a starting year for this as well, but I can't remember it right now...197?....good state inspector aren't I !!)

Shoeless
    '88 K5

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

heh. Went through this before. It may not be checked in some parts of Texas, or any part of Texas, but it is illegal to remove the catalytic converter from ANY vehicle so equipped from the factory, for any reason. Just don't want anyone getting misled that its ok to do so. Just cause one jurisdiction won't bust you doesn't mean another won't.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Good Lord, guys! Why don't you tell him to just flip over the lid??? It costs nothing, gives it some balls, and sounds AWESOME. Just make sure you flip it back over when you go puddle running.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Another option is running a tall lid off a different truck, the ones I've seen were early/mid 80s q-jet trucks. Works with the TBI base. Then you can run a 5 1/2" tall filter.

As for removing the heat riser, I can't see how this would would increase performance, but it does certainly help in cold weather.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I've been thinkin about cutting a new hole just like the one that is already there on the other side of the air cleaner assembly. Then fabbing up a new piece for the snorkel tub to attach to. The radiator support on the drivers side of the radiator has a little plate tack welded over the hole that the little round thing goes threw. Put the round piece in and get the snorkel tube, and you got twice as much cool air flow to the carb. I already got the round piece in, I just gave the piece of metal that is tacked over the hole a couple of good shoots with the BHF and it came right out. Now I just need to cut the hole and fab the piece for the snorkel to attach to.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

16. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Kinda like what I did to my truck?? it looks totally stock using all stock parts and cost me a total of 5 bucks. CHeck out my website and you'll see a rough pic of my dual snorkle intake that looks factory.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did you fab the metal piece from the housing to the tube, or did you find a housing with dual inlets?

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

18. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

They never made a dual inlet air cleaner. I bought another whole intake set up from the junk yard for 5 bucks. The air cleaner housing, tube, and thing that goes on the rad. support. then I cut and welded the extension on to my orig. air cleaner bucket, hooked the intake tube to the hole already in the support for the 6 cylinder trucks, and made it look factory.
    Ben 87 Jimmy