Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Alternator on non TBI truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 20, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Will an alternator from a 91 Blazer fit my 84? I mean like since hte pulleys turn the other way will it work? The 91s had the 105Amp alternator and I want to replace my K5s alternator might as well go bigger. Only things on that truck that haven't been replaced/broken, are the alternator and starter and I'm gonna strike before it happens and replace them.

2. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

it doesnt have anything to do with the TBI. the Serpintene pully system is what is different. and, i'm really not sure if it will work. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I had one rebuilt...and had the cases clocked different so i could use it as a trail spare in my 79...just needed an adapter harness to mate to the older wiring....other than that i worked with no problems.

DW

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you are correct but there were no serpentine carburated rigs as far as i know

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Even on serp belt set-ups, the alternator runs off the inside of the belt, so the rotation is the same as the older V belt alts. The water pump runs off the outside of the belt on a GM truck serp. set-up, so it turns backward. The pulleys are obviously different.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh I didn't even think about that, thanks.

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

yes...there were no serp belt setup's in 79...i was just saying i run a 87 up alt that has the case clocked to work in a older rig with an adapter plug to finish it off...course trux weren't tbi'd in 79 but mine is...lol... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif