Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI and MSD 6A

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

Is anyone using a MSD 6A ignition with Throttle Body Injection? If so, did it smooth out your idle? As I'm sure you are aware, TBI was notorious for not idling smoothly. I was wondering if the multiple discharge will clean up the idle. I have new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc. It is not any bad parts, just EFI's sloppy idle. Also, is the MSD a direct plug-in?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

1990 K5

2. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Two weeks ago I installed an MSD-6AL box, MSD stock style external HEI coil, and MSD wires on my '89 TBI Sub. My Sub's idle and overall performance was pretty good prior to the system, but after the MSD system it did seem to smooth things out a little. I haven't noticed an increase in gas mileage, but that may be due to the fact that I've had my foot in the throttle trying to test out the ignition system /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. The installation was very straight-forward and I used the MSD connectors for my particular vehicle to plug into the stock wiring so that no splicing or cutting had to be done.

On a side note, I had a Jacobs Electronics system in my truck prior to the MSD and it was nothing but trouble. I just sent the J.E. system back to the distributor three days ago and will be receiving a full refund.

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

No...not yet...but i will...

As far as the idle goes...GM had a continueing chip problem...i have the same flutter at idle..in gear. Snap_on has a book with my scanner on how to get the latest chip...

DW