Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI and sm465 and running no speedometer.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Dec 12, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

how would I hook up the vehicle seed sensor since the painless wiring kit is based on a 90 pickup which would of had it. The book that came with the kit says I can hook two wires together and it will think the truck is in park.. it will work but not prime for the system. I am not running a speedometer in the rig since I don't care to see how fast I'm going.. if the tach says I have more RPM's to go then I will go faster. plus I'm not gonna drop $100 on a speedo that I am not gonna look at.

so do I just wire in the sensor and and get full use of the fuel injection or wire them together and just be glad I don't have to f with a carb ever again.LOL

-Jeremy

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Get the speedo. Put some duct tape over the display but get one. Your ECM os a nosy critter and wants to see how fast you're going.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You don't need the speedo, you can put the VSS down by the tranny (most likely) or just run the speedo cable from the tranny, deadhead it in the engine compartment with the VSS at the end. I ran my TPI motor at first with the 'tie the two wires together' routine, then found an easy VSS intall (from www.jagsthatrun.com )setup and changed. To be honest, saw very little difference overall. A bit better idle quality (not that it was bad or anything to begin with) but if you can do it right, use the VSS. A cheap insurance policy (my VSS was $65). The hookup is simple, two wires, as you probably already know......... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    so do I just wire in the sensor and and get full use of the fuel injection or wire them together and just be glad I don't have to f with a carb ever again.LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do fuel injection to get away from a carb, why would you contemplate halfassing the injection setup? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Whole point of injection is better driveability plus the other benefits, removing the VSS just hurts that.