Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi buildup cams chips ect.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrider_44s, May 30, 2004.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

thinking of building a 350 TBI for my brother but need info on some combos
    how much cam can you put in with out changing the chip
    if a chip upgrade is needed what chip would be recomended and injectors are the stock one's up to par
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

don't know much about injection systems so any info would really help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Probably the best advice I can give is to call the tech lines of the companies that make tbi compatible cams (at one time I was looking into this and knew who they were, now I can't remember) and then talk to a custom chip dealer like turbo city and see what they say. When I was considering a performance rebuild of a tbi 454 I had I called several and they are all more than happy to help. I think Edlebrock sells a whole "system", cam, intake, exhaust, all set to work together with a tbi unit. I've never been a big Edlebrock fan, but that might be worth a look. Hope that helps. Rich.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If it is in the budget, Bullet/Derf00 are having good luck with the Edelbrock MPFI kit. If you ask me that sounds like a real good idea, although pricey.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Crane, Comp, both make cams good cams for TBI. Keep the lift under .480 and the duration 212 @ .050 or under, lobe seperation 112 and the stock chip will be happy.
    Stock injectors can feed enough fuel for around 280+ - HP. You will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
    Go here and read:GM TBI Tuning
    Read all the blue links on the right side of the page. Lots of good info there on building TBIs. Good info on what you can and cant do. They also sell good chips and performance mods for TBI.

Have you also considered getting better flowing heads?

5. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to sure on what he really wants yet or how much money he has for it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    but i know he has a 305 in there that's burning oil faster than he can put it in /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif the heads on that just had a valve job and maby some other work not sure
    i know some of the older 305 had smaller combustion chambers i think to up the compression to make up for the lack of cubic inches /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    but i don't know the specs on the tbi heads but we were thinking about looking into putting the 305 heads on.
    any thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

You might look at the LO5 GM crate engine. It is a direct replacement model 350 that can be had for around $1200.00. Then you can change the cam & get right at 270 HP with little or no TBI adjustments. It might still be advantageous to get some one like Fuel Injection Specialities www.fuelinjectionspecialities.com to shed some light on this subject. If you call them, talk to Vince, he is the magician. This engine is a brand new truck TBI engine with GM warranty...
    I currently have a stock 95 TBI engine from a Sub in my 71, & am going to upgrade it to Vortec Heads this winter. This will give me around 310 HP with approximately 420 Lb/Ft Torque at 3300 RPM. Remember with a TBI, you do not need a lot of fuel pressure, but constant flow @ 9-15 PSI.

Hope this helps a little...

BTW, once you use the TBI, you will never look at a carb again.

Supergas /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

As someone above said, call the cam companies. They've done the dyno tests to know what works. I have a Comp cam they recommended in my otherwise stock TBI 350. It does run better than the average TBI 350, and there are no bad side effects. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to sure on what he really wants yet or how much money he has for it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    but i know he has a 305 in there that's burning oil faster than he can put it in /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif the heads on that just had a valve job and maby some other work not sure
    i know some of the older 305 had smaller combustion chambers i think to up the compression to make up for the lack of cubic inches /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    but i don't know the specs on the tbi heads but we were thinking about looking into putting the 305 heads on.
    any thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 305 heads on my 388, I don't think my computer likes them. I have no power after 3500 RPMs. I have to run 93+ octane fuel.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You ever hooked a scanner up to it? I'm betting your knock sensor retards timing like crazy because of those heads.