Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Caddy 500?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Feb 10, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If I could get my hands one a Caddy 500 engine, could I somehow convert it to TBI and put it in my 89 Burb? My current 350 has 276,000 miles on it so there's gonna be an engine change down the road. Now I have a 2 bolt 454 short block right now but buying the rest of the parts that I need is gonna cost quite a bit and from the way it sounds, Caddy engines are easy to come by in junkyards. Does anyone make an intake manifold to adapt the caddy engine to TBI? I figure one of TurboCity's 454 throtle bodies would be able to feed the beast. Another thing, are there places to attach all the sensors for the puter on the engine? If there aren't, would the puter go nuts if they wern't hooked up? Even if its not possible to do a TBI 500, could a carb'd 500 be put in place and the computer left out all together? Do any companies make an after markey FI system for the 500? Thx

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a Holley ProJection 4D would work and then find an adapter plate.

Or have your own adapter fabbed.

3. afroman006

What exactly is it and where can I look at one? Thx

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Just keep it simple, why go EFI?

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Because EFI is better than a carb.

You could get an adapter to bolt on a throttle body in place of a carb for about $10, that way you can use any manifold for a caddy 500. TBI runs off very few sensors so hooking them up shouldnt be difficult. The only problem I can see is figuring out how to use a later-model ECM controlled distributor.

6. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I have been researching this very same problem for about 6-8 months now. DUI (www.performancedistributors.com/index.html) can make you a distributor with a 4 pin connector to hook-up to the ECM. As far as injection systems are concerned, I havent found any that are capable of feeding that much air/fuel for these engines. BB 454's had 670 cfm throttle bodies, stock. I have a 76' caddy 500 that had the stock electronic fuel injection. It was the first one so parts are not available anymore. MTS (www.500cid.com) can supply you with rebuilt injectors. It was a multipoint injection with a 900 cfm throttle body. I have the complete system if your interested. You already have a FI tank and sending unit, so that shouldnt be a problem. AL at MTS told me you would need at least 850-900 cfm for these engines. I hope this helps. Good Luck. If you have any other questions, PM me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What kind of max RPM are you talking about and what kind of max RPM is he talking about ? Given the size of those main bearings in the 500's I wouldn't be turning it very fast if I wanted any kind of lifespan out of the crank. Most of those Cad guys are drag racers and are thinking in those terms. Krusic was (is ?) for sure.

500ci = .289 cf
    .145cf per revolution
    Normally aspirated, figure 80% VE (being generous)
    Figure 4500 redline (being conservative)
    4500*.80*.145 = 520 cfm

Looks to me like a 454's 670 cfm would work about right.

8. afroman006

Not sure about exact RPM, but it would be for a mud Burb. I have no parts at all right now besides whats in my burb. I dont know too much about the Caddy engines. For a mud truck, would y'all recomend the Caddy 500 or Chevy 454? My 454 block is a 2 bolt. Thx

9. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I built a '76 500 Caddy for my 88 Sub 4x4. Used the BOP version of the T400 for trans and pulled a 4.56 gear (33" tires) and a US Gear 2 speed aux trans behind the T400 and in front of the NP208 TC. The engine had about $3200 in parts from CMD in Lakeland, Florida. I believe the guy retired and sold his business now. Caddy engine in stock form don't like high RPM's. When you see the size of the main and rod journals, you know why. Develops very high bearing temps and is transfered to oil for some high oil temps without a good oil pan and cooler. Stock rods are cast (not very strong) as are pistons. Edelbrock has a great manifold, Comp Cams has some good bump sticks and the DUI distributor is great. Mine had 9.1 compression, mild cam, Edelbrock intake, 780 Holley, 454 headers (easily modified to Caddy exhaust flanges) and according to the dyno numbers that CMD got with an identical engine was around 420-430hp and 500-550 ft.lbs. torque. I know I could pull a 6800# trailer over a mountain pass outside Seattle at 70mph without a hitch. Fuel mileage was 6-9mpg depending on the size of my foot on any particular day. Caddy's are very stout engine with the right parts. Would I do it again? My present K5 runs a BBC427 because it easy to find parts for. Hope that helps.

10. afroman006

I kinda left out that I'm on a 16 year old's budget. Can I get just the TBI modification parts without any hotrod parts for a reasonable price? I would rebuild the engine anyway and use the right bearings and seals for my application. What years did the Caddy engines have fuel injection and would this be a simpler or harder task to swap in? How exactly do you go about modifying the 454 headers to fit the 500? What was the stock HP and torque ratings for the 500s? I remember seeing somewhere that they were 400 HP and 550 ft lbs. Is that right? Thx for answering all my dumb and unspecific questions, y'all's replies have been really helpful.

11. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

the 1970 500 in the eldorado's were factory rated for 400 horses and 550 ft pounds of torque. They had a 10.5 - 1 compression ratio. Caddy motors aren't really designed to rev higher than 4500 rpms alot.

12. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If youre on a tight budget, why not rebuild the 350 you already have? It wouldn't be very hard to get 400-450 ft-lb out of one with some vortec heads and a better cam. Or you could stroke it and build a 383. Either way it would be cheaper than the BBC or Cad.

13. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Ironman: Remember that 1970 HP &amp; torque numbers are gross numbers before the new standard was adopted in 1972(?)or 73. You would have to derate them by about 25% to compare to todays engines. You're exactly right about not wanting a Caddy to rev much beyond 4500 R's with stock rods and pistons. I used forged rods and KB pistins and could rev to 5500 but with 513 (.050 overbore) cubes, why bother. Hardly ever ran over 3800. Low end torque was way stronger then present BBC427 in my K5.

afroman006: Being unemployed and thinking of doing what you are, I wonder if you're being realistic. Stay with the 350 until you can afford more engine. Oh, regarding your profile, life does not "sux". It is what you make it, being unemployed at 16 is a choice not a sentence. The advice about building a SBC is sound advice, especially on your budget, mechanical knowledge, and abilities. We've all been there.

14. afroman006

I'm in the middle of soccer season right now, hence the unemployment. I have a job lined up at McDonalds /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif right after the season ends. I wanted to avoid fastfood but I dont exactly have alot of options. I did think about rebuilding my current engine but as of now my burb is the only available vehicle for me to use and having it sitting for the time it would take to rebuild and reinstall the engine would not work. Plus I want more ponies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. This is a long term project that is scheduled to come after the lift and body work. The life sux comment is an inside joke, I dont know why I put it in there...

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The life sux comment is an inside joke, I dont know why I put it in there...

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm are you jewish? lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

All the jewish people i know have that in thier AIM profiles /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Must be a joke between them or something??