Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Cam or Manifold?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Aug 10, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Slowly doing some work to my engine, trying to make it more... peppy. Anyway, I've done the throttle body spacer and the injector spacer, getting ready to add some Hooker headers, Eastern Tru-Performance cats and MagnaFlow 4x9 Mufflers. At the same time I get my exhaust redone I want to add either a new intake manifold or cam. I'm looking to spend sub $200. Which would be most beneficial to a stock 350 with 135k? I have heard adding a new cam on an engine with this high of mileage could cause you to spin a bearing, any truth to this? I know the manifold is easier to install, but I'm willing to do either.

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

it would be easier to do both at the same time since you have to take the manifold off for both installations. i would say that the cam would warrant more power especially with the other mods you have adn plan to do. look on ebay for some used manifolds adn go for the cam. so you won't have to install adn reinstall your manifold. good luck.

3. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I think your money would be better spent on a set of good heads. Then later on when you put a cam in and intake you'll really feel the power. If you do the cam and intake you wont be able to get full benefit and wont be able to get all the air and fuel in efficiently. I would say manifold if you can only afford one at a time. Then you could save up for cams and heads.

Later

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Heads are deffinitely out of the question, when I step up the heads it will be in a few years. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'm thinking intake as well as I can always resell it later when I go to different heads (if I decide to do the vortec heads like my plans).

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you plan on doign vortec heads, then I would just wait. I wouldn't put a new cam in an older engine like that. Plus when you do a cam, it is best to go with new lifters, pushrods, rockers, etc. And that may put you over your $200 limit. Just wait, save and do the heads, cam, intake and a rebuild all at the same time.