Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI-CARB. SWAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLAZK585, Apr 24, 2001.

1. BLAZK585

BLAZK585 Newbie

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS KNOWLEDGE OF A MANUAL OR HOW TO BOOK ON SWAPPING A QUADRAJET WITH A TROTTLE BODY UNIT. I HAVE AN '85 BLAZER W/ A Q-JET AND AN '89 CAPRICE W/ A TBI. I WANT TO SWITCH THEM.

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The best book I know of is TPI and TBI swapping, by JTR (Jaguars That Run). Its a spends a little more time on TPI stuff, but it helped a lot in my conversion. You will also need a factory shop manual (HELM) for the Capiece, try www.factoryautomanuals.com, best price I've found. This is a great swap, I've been really happy with mine.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I can't give you exact details, but ECM, fuel Pump, and possible the speedo system may be need to be swapped if the caprice is a sensor set up. Not sure on the TV cable...Think it should work, but not positive. You will also have to run wiring to the fuel pump in the newer style fuel tank and a return line un less you choose to go a custom elec pump setup and fp regulator. Also wiring harness and the sensors will probably need to be swapped as well. Shouldn't be too tough if you have some wiring experience and can get the fuel system covered. Probably would be easiest to just swap distributor too... believe the tbi in the caprices were EST or eleclronically controlled. Last piece is the heads... the tbi intake won't bolt up to the earlier 85 heads... plus they are yucky heads anways so would be better off going w/ the FI heads. Good luck...

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Starting my TBI swap this saturday....guess i'll take some pics and do a write up for Steve.

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

As I recall, it's not too hard to modify the intake to work. Other alternatives would be an adapter for a Holley TBI, or a new manifold, such as the one made for the Holley TBI. They have the same 3 bolt pattern, but the Holley has bigger bores.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd