Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI - Carb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dodgedude99, Jun 30, 2004.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

being that i live in chicago(ish) we have those wonderful emission testing.
    if i were to build a 383, carbed, make a nice fairly powerful motor out of it, is it possibly to still pass emissions?
    last time i took it, they didnt lift the hood to see what was underneath.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

it is possible to make it pass emissions, but it would have to be tuned VERY well, depending on what ur sniffer requirements are. Also, to pass visual (just in case) put all the crap on there like air injection etc. I did, its not that bad, just clutters up the bay more. Id put it on just so you have no problems. Also keep the stock air breather on, a carb sort of resembles a tbi lol.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You said they didn't lift the hood. I'd add "yet" to that statement.

No reason to build something that may not be legal in a yar IMO. Besides, if you want to sell it where there IS a visual inspection, you will have a much harder time.

I guarantee with the right tune it would pass emissions, but ONLY a sniffer.

4. dodgedude99

all the vehicles i had taken in, they have never lifted the hood.
    as far as being legal, the truck would be over bumper heights anyway.
    i just see more performance gains by going to a carbed motor then sticking with the TBI and adding a cam, chip, etc. correct?

5. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I would tend to disagree with that. The TBI is a better controlled unit than a carb. You'll get lower emmisions, better fuel mileage, and better overall performance. Plus, there's plenty of upgrades available for TBI stuff. Larger injectors, TBI units, heck even a 454 TBI/injector setup will swap over with the right chip. It's also more tuneable with a chip. There's so many people out there that are really good at tuning engines, I don't see a need to ditch the TBI. Keep in mind too, that the TBI will also run better in off-camber situations in most cases. Also, if you keep the TBI, you can keep it looking stock on the outside, and punch out and stroke the inside all you want. Even if they do look under the hood, they'll never know.

This is all of course, just my opinion. I'm sure there's people who can set up a carb just as good or better than a TBI.

6. dodgedude99

is it possible to do a 383 and not have the computer throw a fit?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    is it possible to do a 383 and not have the computer throw a fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You just have to be careful with component selections and make some upgrades.

In IL anything will pass emissions if it can pass the sniffer.