Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Code 32 EGR Repetitive Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, May 21, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Having another TBI code issue, this time it's a 32 EGR. This is on my recent TBI swap vehicle, 1991 TBI set-up onto a 77 K10 using painless harness. I've had a different code every week since start-up.

This one popped up about 2 weeks back. I decided to go ahead and replace both the EGR and EGR solenoid. I found a Delco EGR solenoid at the parts shop and bought it but had to order in the EGR itself. I went ahead and installed the solenoid and the code 32 issue went away.

When the new Delco EGR came in yesterday I went ahead and installed it. Today I got the Code 32 back and now it's a steady problem. Why would a new Delco EGR create an EGR code, it's the exact same part as the old one. Besides the obvious fact it could be bad from the factory. Could there be another underlying problem?

Jesus wept, TBI was supposed to be simple.:doah:

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Can somebody tell me how there EGR solenoid vac line is routed? Is yours routed to the TBI body or to a manifold port tee?

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

TBI body on my 87

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Well it was a shot in the dark, mine runs from the egr to the egr solenoid then to the tbi body pass side port.

I get the code with both old and new egr and with both new and old egr solenoid.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well, yeah, mine also runs through the solonoid.......

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Does the computer need to reset or something?

Could it have anything to do with the new motor not being broken in?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How soon does the code set?

Not sure if my "troubleshooting" thread has links to TBI/MAP EGR troubleshooting or not, but I do know that the ECM looks for a difference in MAP reading when the EGR solenoid is commanded to allow EGR. If it doesn't see that difference, it will trigger the code.

Make sure the vacuum lines/ports are all clear and not leaking.

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

James,
    Pm 5280K5 he is a master GM tech he maybe able to point you in the right direction

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The code sets at cruise everytime.

I've replaced all the vac lines and still get the code 32 at cruise speed 60mph. Cruise is when the ECM commands the most EGR flow. The manifold has been hot tanked within the last 2 months and came out clean as a whistle. I've replaced the EGR and EGR solenoid. There are no hard components left to replace. I'm thinking I have a bad connection, bad ecm or the long tube headers are creating a problem.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So the obvious now is that EGR is being commanded at the right time, just not happening.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/attachments/tpi/66746-egr-problemx228657x-egr3.jpg?d=1079195775

That's MAF TPI, but they discuss activating the EGR solenoid via the test terminal, (ignore the temp switch, etc) which not reading the whole page, is likely on the ALDL connector, which you'd need to find the pinout for.

Eh, that's here too:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141717&highlight=troubleshooting

Solenoid test should be the same regardless of induction method/year, since the EGR solenoid is present and operates the same in most all.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Might want to give this a read. http://www.sethirdgen.org/egr.htm
    It is one of the best code 32 articles I have read. Its for 3 gen camaros and birds but the diagnostics are the same. Except MAF cars which have a temp sensor by the EGR. TBI uses a drop in manifold vaccum and I believe also changes in 02 readings to tell if the EGR is working. ECM tests EGR function at cruise speed.. That is why you get a 32 at cruise.
    1 other thing to look into is your MAP sensor. If it going out it may not be reading the drop in manifold vac. But the MAP still not bad enough to throw a 33 or other MAP associated code.
    Also check all electrical connections and grounds. Make sure you have the ground strap that goes from the engine block to the firewall connected.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

confirm you have NO SHORTS in the wiring before you look to a bad ecm...
    pay close attention to where the loom runs down the engine... where it sits on top of the manifold and gets hot,,, this is a problem area because of rubbing and the loom getting repeatedly heated and cooled

confirm there are no line leaks... since it is happening during cruise mode look for bad lines there as well... confirm you were given the correct egr.. its easy to get the incorrect one...
    d535 has the next set of checks...