Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI conversion question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, Aug 2, 2006.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I have been considering putting a TBI on my '86 crew cab equipped with a 454. I mainly want to do this conversion for the adaptability that fuel injection has when driving conditions change. When I go to higher elevations I can definitely feel a power difference in my truck, also gas mileage sucks even worse. Nevertheless what Im getting at is I have 2 saddle tanks, and I quite possibly might be adding a third tank for extra fuel capacity. Will I have to have a fuel return line going back to each tank that I am drawing off of. Is there a way around this that Im not aware of? How would that work with multiple tanks? On the later model trucks with multiple tanks how does that work? Does the switch determine what tank will also get the return feed? Just something Im considering since I had a little engine fire in my rig and now I need to do some work to my engine. :mad: It burned up my distributer, carb, plug wires, a few wire looms, cruise control modulator, and all vaccum lines.:mad: :mad: :mad: This happnened on the 4th of july and I havent messed with it since.

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

nobody knows huh?......maybe I sould go to pirate :p: I did searching and I didnt really find what I was looking for.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yes you have to have a return lin to each tank and it must be switchd to the tank you are drawing fuel from. No way around this with stock TBI.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

switching tanks shouldnt be that compicated. just get another switch like the one on your truck. one to toggle from the aux tank to the saddles, and one to switch the saddles.