Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Dec 16, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my dad wants to put TBI on his 85 blazer, but like usual he wants to do it as cheap as possible.

got a few questions,

will a harness from a 87 truck, 87-89 k5 or burb (wanna stay away from VSS in the tcase) go into the 85 easily?

is the ALDL port and the check engine light with the TBI harness or is it with the vechicle harness? would it be hard to remove this part?

so far i have in the list of stuff needed as
    Wiring harness (stock or custom built)
    TBI unit
    Manifold
    Computer
    Distributor
    Chip programed
    Fuel pump
    heated O2 sensor (headers)

is there anything im missing, if so an estimate on price
    any tips or sugguestions?

my dad would rather need 10 $20 items than 1 $200 item
    :screwy: other words id just get a custom built harness for $225

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pulling the complete harness out of a donor is the only way to go IMO. Cull out whatever is unnecessary for your use(AC, etc) and be done with it.

EFI will nickle and dime you to death. If it isn't complete, don't buy it, period.

Cluster is another item that is worthwhile to grab, since the check engine light will be wired up correctly, but that is easy if you don't get it.

A few items tied into the EFI harness, but you've got to worry about fusing the leads and what not if you just cut wires, then you have to figure out where to source power, etc.

GM did it right, no reason to try and cut corners.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i just remembered that the local junkyard has 2 87 1/2 tons and i 88-91 cab and chassis that i know of. ill head out that way and see what i can come up with. :)

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Dorian is on the right track..

But I would suggest seeing if you can pick up a whole TBI truck for cheap... Find one that is completely rusted out or see if the j-yard will part with one. Then you can swap everything over and then scrap the rest. Doing it this way, you can also see where everything goes and how everything is routed.