Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI cutting out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CBLAZER81, May 15, 2000.

1. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has an 86(I think)K5,350 with TBI.It runs ok at an idle and if you ease into the throttle,but if he tries to accelerate too much it dies like it's running out of gas.I told him I'd check with you guys for any ideas.
    Any ideas? thanks.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

2. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

My '89 is doing the same thing at about 100 degrees until it warms up (175) or goes into closed loop. I haven't been able to really look into it much but I'll let you know what it was in a couple of weeks... I'm thinking the fuel pump???

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

87 and up had the TBI unless it was swapped in. As for it cutting out till it warms, Tough to say. Have him check the codes for any emisions equip that may be fouling. I just replaced the EGR valve and O2 sensor on mine. Made a world of difference. I would prob. start with a complete tuneup, plugs, wires, cap, everything. I also am in the habit of changing the fuel filter twice a year. You might also, after you check the codes, unhook the battery to reset things. I'm still digging in on this TBI stuff to try and get the best understanding of it.

Good Luck
    Kyle
    89K5

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

my motor (bottom end and cam/lifters) and EGR only has 3000 miles on it while the heads, intake and TBI unit have 126,000 miles on them. The fuel filter was replaced 250 (if that) miles ago and I forgot the 2 or 3 codes that came up. I'm thinking that something is going wrong when running in open loop... I dunno yet. I also have a CompCams for the TBI/TPI motor. I'm trying to get progamable Haltech E6GM computer for it to better performance.

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

5. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Got it figured out guys.There was a wire disconnected.Once he found it and hooked it up it ran like a top.Lucky jerk only paid $2000 for it cause the other guy was sick of messing with it.Not to mention that it's 10 times nicer than mine.Oh well,I can have more fun banging mine up than he can on the road.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

6. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Throw the TBI's away and get a good QJET.All you need is a screwdriver and wrench to work on them.No problems with mine runs great at any angle.I need to rebuild it though.Brady