Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI dips down really low afer you start it.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Apr 27, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

then shoots right up, or stalls. after a cold start, has anyone a idea on what this could be? no check engine light either. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Mine was doing that too..I just said **** it with the driveability problems I was having with mine and decided to get my azz in gear and get my 454 TBI in...hopefully that will take care of more than a few problems...hook up a scanner..maybe IAC or EGR, or even TPS or CTS...Just some thoughts...or you can spend like $200 and replace all 4 of those /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

3. 87sm465np208

hmmmm, yea i can take it to autozone and scan it for free, plus i know just about everyone there, or i was thinking it was bad gas, it does that when i got to a certin gas station, but sometime this week i will goto autozone and have myra scan it for me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Ck out your tps with a Multi meter. Ty This link for instructions
    www.chevythunder.com
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

No engine light= no codes

Get a paper clip and learn how to do it yourself if you need to for the future.
    Blake

6. 87sm465np208

yea as of right now im thinking either bad gas, or my Iac is dirty again, or my egr is messed up, and you guys say a falty TPS can mess up, how can i adjust it? i will take off my iac and clean it toamrow and if this keeps up ill take it to autozone and have them scan it.

7. 87sm465np208

no codes, just a flash, pause and 2 flashes, im stumped. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

sounds similar to what my 91 was doing. Idle would 'hunt' a bit...cold or hot, didn't make a difference... Started to get SES light on it, but couldn't catch a code. Finally did, and it was a 22 (TPS). $30 later, and a new TPS, it still wasn't right. Idled high. Not much adjustment on it (say a 3/8's travel one way to other). One thing i picked up about doing this was to clear the EMC (a minute or two without the battery hooked up). ANother tid-bit was once battery re-connected, ignition ON (BUT NOT STARTED!!), was to cycle the TPS a couple times... idle to WFO and back. Then off, then try and start. Non problem since.
    may work for you... or..... maybe not. I was about to replace the IAC as well, but now haven't even cleaned it and things are running real well!

9. 87sm465np208

i must say im intrigued, im gunna have to try this, ive heard that if you have the igntion on and connect the battery that that can fry the ecm, i could be wrong, so cycle the TPS when you reconnect the battery after a few, interesting. ill try it if the problem persists. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Well, ign was off when batt connected. (after installation of the TSP). then on, cycled TSP, and then i did an OFF, start and ran fine.
    Seems a tad more sensitive to cold starts now however. Gives a higher idle, but goes away fairly quick. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 87sm465np208

so you totally disconnected the the battery like both positive and neg? i might do this before i move my truck tonight, it will make me mad that i will loose my presets, but i will survive, acctually it is raining right now, so it will have to wait, but i will give it a shot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif