Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI engine flooding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joker89blazer, Oct 17, 2002.

1. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

89 blazer floods bad and stalls. Check engine light is not on when flooding. Where should I look for problems? If it was o2 sensor I would think motor would go into closed loop mode, but motor is running worse than closed loop mode. Could this be a problem with the vacuom control for the EGR valve, TPS, idle air control, sticking injector, something else ? Where should I start looking ? Thanks in advance for looking. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Try your fuel pressure regulator. Mine ran real rich when it went, if you think it might be an injector, pop the air filter off and listen to the injectors, they will make little clicking sounds. They sound a little like loose valves, but quieter. If you here only one clicking then one of them is clogged or jammed.

3. joker89blazer

Thanks for the help, I didn"t think about checking the fuel preasure.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Try unplugging the temp sensor - its a two-prong sensor near the front of the intake. Sometimes when they go, they register something obnoxious like -30 degrees. Mr. ECM sure dumps in the fuel at -30 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Unplugging the temp sensor will just keep it in "open loop" - basically permanent warm-up mode.

5. joker89blazer

I have tried unplugging O2 sensor, coolant tempature sensor,MAP sensor all made no change. Installed new repair kit in preasure regulator. Tried unplugging each injector to see if one was sticking made no change. Truck is flooding so bad now that it only spits out black smoke when cranking at full throttle, will not run. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

unplugging the coolant sensor makes it think it is cold (higher resistance=colder reading) try another temperature sensor or short the sensor connector with a small jumper wire, this may cause the check engine light to come on, but if it quits flooding you will know the sensor is at fault.

7. joker89blazer

Replaced coolant sensor. Installed rebuild kit in fuel regulator. Same problem as before. If I try to start with out touching throttle I only smell raw fuel, If I crank at full throttle truck will sputter out black smoke and sometimes backfire out intake. What am I missing ? Should I be looking for a iginition problem instead of a rich fuel condition ? Problem first started with truck stalling and black smoke. After driving home [less than 10 miles] engine will not even run. I don't think a timing gear/timing chain problem would do this. Should I be checking something in the iginition circuit ? If so what ? Thanks for the help already. Any other ideas ? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. joker89blazer

Any ideas???????? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. RedneckK5

RedneckK5 Registered Member

are you sure that you are unpluging the correct temp sensor? most computer controlled engines have two temp sensors. one for the ecm and one for the gauge.

10. joker89blazer

I tried unplugging and I replaced the sensor mounted on the front of the air intake than works with the ecm. I know what you are talking about there is another coolant sensor [mounted on the engine block?] that works with the tempature guage/idiot light. Thanks for the reply.Any other things to look for???? I don't know what else to check and the haynes manual is not much help with this problem /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. RedneckK5

will the truck start at all. if so will it run at a higher rpm. have you checked the timing. how about the map sensor.

12. joker89blazer

Truck will not run. Truck will sputter out black smoke and backfire out intake and strong fuel smell if cranked at full throttle does nothing if throttle is not depressed during cranking. Can not get truck to run inorder to check timing.thanks for the help.
    Anything else?

13. RedneckK5

make sure the distributor is tight and hasent moved. you might get a buddy to crank the truck while you screw with the timing. make sure to mark it before you move it so you can put it back if it doesnt help.

14. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

i don't know if this will help but i had an 87 tbi and ran into a similiar problem, it would load up with fuel and die know matter what, after tearing it apart and looking at everything and replacing things it came down to a clogged pvc passage which is part of emissions crap. unfortunatley emissions stuff controls so much on the vehicle. but mine did almost the same thing flood itself out and puff out black smoke and sometimes backfire. don't know if this helps but good luck finding the problem.
    kelly

15. joker89blazer

Thanks for the help. I will check the distributor and the pcv system for problems. I'll post back what ever I find.thanks again.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Did you change timing gear or chain or you were asking if you should check this?
    If you did change them, that is one thing I would check, you could be one tooth off and that would be your problem.

17. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

What about the engine code(s)?

Could be leaking injectors... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I hear people upgrade to the Holley's for this exact reason.

Good luck.

18. joker89blazer

Did not do anything to the truck before problem. I am starting to think problem maybe in ignition or timing and that computer is dumping extra fuel in becouse of another problem. I pulled the iginition module [part under rotor and cap] and the coil I going to have autozone check these parts. I have have been told that the module can be bad and the tester say it is good so this may not help anyway. To rotate motor to tdc for timing check , should I remove the plugs, are is the crank bolt strong enough to rotate motor under compresson ? On my toyota I would turn motor over with plugs in, can I do this on the 350 with out risk of breakin bolt off in crank, already have enough problems with out making more. I have tried unplugging one injector at a time to see if one was bad, did not make any changes. Can not make truck run so there is no codes stored. thanks for the replies guys.