Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi engine q's help quick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Feb 13, 2005.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

here's the thing.i've opportunity to buy an '87 'burb 4x4,350tbi,700r/208,for $200,with an additional set of tires/rims.the problem isit won't stay running for more than 5min.there is antifreeze coming from the rear of the engine somewhere.can't see it from topside,but looking underneath,it's a steady trickle.the oil didn't look foamyat all.what gives?this truck has sat for the last six years.started and moved around the yard on occasion.if i can get it to run/drive,i really need this 'burb.i'm tired of taking two vehicles to transport the six kids.i'm going to assume the block is shot.will any block work with tbi setup.i would have to use the heads,manifold,etc.,and run a fuel pump block-off cover.is there anything else i would have to do?trans.fluid looked good.

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I am running a 79 block in my 88 with all the stock wiring and harness... If your running those heads you won't have to do anything... just pull the old manifold off and put it on the new block. I had to convert to holley manifold because of my old ass heads but i would have gone down that road anyway for performance.

you might have to fab something if it has 2 knock sensors.... I have to weld a bung onto the fuel block off plate to fit the 2nd one.

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Chances are it needs a freeze plug... If it is a broken block, try to get an 1986-1999 block. One piece rear main seals came out in 86 and use a different flex-plate and balancer than than 85 and prior. You can use the early model block, just be sure to use the balancer and flexplate that go together. Depending on how early you go with the block, it may not have the knock sensor hole.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

could be just intake gasket leak at back ports. and or like above said freeze plug. put coolent in and have someone take pressure tester and pump to no more than about 16-17 psi at most and look for leak .