Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi engine rebuild advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jstevenj, Apr 11, 2005.

1. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

I have a 87 Blazer with 350 tbi engine that is in need of a rebuild. I would like to add a little extra HP without spending a fortune. Maybe vortec heads??? Any advice would appreciated.

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

How much are you looking to spend?? www.350chevys.com has brand spankin new TBI motors that can be gotten as a long block or as a complete engine, with only a $500.00 difference from long block to complete... lowest power is 295/380, but that's at 4500rpm and 2800rpm... they have decent customer service, and they know their stuff, though it may take them a few minutes to find answers for questions... make sure if you call them, you specify what type of cam you want to run, make sure they know it's a K5... and what you plan to do with it.

My engine is running wonderfully... a little high on the idle, and too high RPMs for max HP... but 2800 Torque is just running near OK... I wish it would peak around 1700 or so, but meh... I can always replace the cam later.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

hey jsteven where in N. MS are u from?

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Well a stock tbi won't support that kind of power... you need something like a 454 tbi, holley 670 cfm, or a bored stocker. If you want 295 out of your tbi setup you need some computer work, a bigger tbi, and a bigger bore manifold... don't know if they come with it or not.

I have a tbi 355... heres what im running

speedpro 10:1 flat top pistons
    holley 670 cfm with 9-22 psi adjustable regulator(will support 375-400 hp with the right tweaking)
    holley dual plane 2" projection manifold
    accel high pressure inline pump (45 psi)
    camel humpers :crazy:
    crane cams hyd. lifter l-79 cam 447 lift 222 dur.
    afterburner headers, y pipe, 3" single exhaust
    K and n filter and xtreme lid with prefilter
    prominator
    wideband o2

roughly 340-350 hp and 400 ft lbs of tq.

obviously you don't need all of this but my advice to you if you want to go 350 hp with tbi is just get an mpfi setup from edelbrock... i will have over 1200 bucks into my tbi once i get the prominator, labtop, and wideband, and the edelbrock system is the same price.

How much power are you looking for? Your setup will depend heavily on what kind of power you want to make.

5. PhoenixZorn

What are you smoking?? Read here... http://www.350chevys.com/350_tbi_stage_1.htm

That stage 1 TBI 350 is pretty much stock except for the cam choice. Each one has all the same parts except for the cam, and you can get it in 3 varieties... they are as close to stock as you can get for price as well.

A stock TBI won't support 350hp, that's true... but for a little bit of change, you can get it there with not too many alterations. And my numbers were wrong for the TBI... it runs 295hp and 395ft/lbs... and thats the lowest model... For an extra 2 hundred, you can have 330hp and 417 ft/lbs... for an even bigger smackdown, you can spend an extra $500, you can have 346hp and 423ft/lbs... not a bad way to go... if I had the extra cash when i got my engine from them, I would have gotten a stage 2 Carb 350 instead of the cheapest stage 1.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

cigarettes.....

so a cam adds 85 hp???? those motors seem to be way overated... where is all the power coming from?

I highly doubt that your running a 295 hp 380 ft lbs tq motor with no tuning or modifying...more like 240.

7. PhoenixZorn

actually, my truck is puting down 295 and 380, but as I said earlier, that's at 4500rpm for peak hp and 2800 rpm for peak torque...

more than likely, you are blowing smoke up people's asses with your "estimated" power ratings of your own engine, and I'd be willing to bet you are puting down somewhere around 280 as well... I didn't say mine wasn't tuned... it was dynoed with headers and a Q-jet, and I put a holley 600 on it... so I'm probably puting down even more power now.

And I said NEAR stock... not stock. There are other non-stock parts on it like the heads, valves, pistons, and intake manifold... pretty much nothing is stock on my engine, and it sure looks sweet.

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

:haha: :surepal: :surepal:

I'll take that bet....

actually that power estimate was more like 375 until rjf chopped it down to 340-350... so if you think its wrong take it up with him... the builder said 350 hp also.

I would bet money that it puts down 230(with 35's) at the rw if not more.

I said that because i thought you bought one of the tbi 350's off that website and slapped a stock tbi on there. no need to get defensive and attack my motor.... :rotfl: :shame:

I wasn't talking about your motor being near stock... i was talking about the tbi motors. and heads, pistons, valves etc is not near stock.

9. PhoenixZorn

Oh no... I bought the carbed 350... sorry for the confusion... and the builder told me 295/380, so I'll go with that... as soon as I find a shop around here that has a dyno, I'll drop it on. By the way, the TBI engines come complete with a stock GM TBI, so I'd have to believe he's not overrating his motors, since he tests them with what he sells on them.

10. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

new albany

You got any good trails down around Tupelo. I have a few buddys that could come down some Saturday and ride. You can email me at theknifeman@hotmail.com