Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Engine Swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lwhitsell, Mar 8, 2000.

1. lwhitsell

lwhitsell Newbie

(Please excuse me if this is a repeat, I am new to this page)
    I have a 1988 K5 with 110,000 on the motor and it's just about time for a new mill. I went through alot of previous posts and found a mention of problems using existing TBI on a GM crate motor..... Does anyone know of a reputable company (in Texas, preferably) that does engine swaps utilizing my current TBI? I want more horsepower than stock, but doesn't everyone? I just don't want to mess with my original equipment any more than necessary...

2. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

All Chevy Engines is down your way I think. I've heard some good and bad about them so you'll have to form your own opinion on that. Their site is www.allchevyengines.com
    Some places I'd recommend contacting for info are Howell, Turbo City, and Holley. All are into fuel injection and are very knowledgeable about TBI and requirements. The only suggestion is to call and talk to them instead of playing email tag; something I have been doing. I will be doing so soon when I'm ready to order my parts. Summit Racing is also pretty good for info on parts to boost your TBI output.

Some general info from what I've found in my searches. A short block is a shortblock to a fuel injection system. It's the cubes that count more than the materials the parts are made from. The two major factors (there are many) when picking a replacement engine, including crate engines, is the compression ratio and the cam specs. Too high a compression ratio will cause detonation beyond what the computer can adjust for and the cam profile has to be a computer-friendly one. Your stock TBI is rated to flow somewhere between 450-500CFM and this should be enough to feed a low rev 350 (under 5000 RPM). The biggest factor will be supplying enough fuel if you have an engine making much more power than stock. Some solutions are adjustable fuel pressure regulator, higher flow injectors and possibly a higher flow pump.
    I wrote the above assuming your looking at replacing your engine. If you just plan a rebuild, then Turbo City offers a number of products that can give you more HP. They have injectors, injector spacers, TBI spacer, venturis and adjustable regulators that are sold as a kit that can give you upwards of 47 extra HP.

Hope this helps and as I've said before, if anyone wants to contradict me, I won't be offended. I'm still learning too!

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

4. lwhitsell

lwhitsell Newbie

Thanks to both Brian and Jimmy... I have some good leads now!