Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Engine Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KILLERK5, Mar 26, 2002.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

When I put a new engine in my truck, do I have to do anything special with the fuel injecton or do I just take it off and bolt it on the new one? I have all of the stuff that I need but I dont know what to do with the fuel injection, nor does anybody else that I talked to. Thanks

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

depends what you are doing with the motor. If you are upgrading for better power then you will need to change some things. What do you have planned for a motor?

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah what kind of motor ? Performance ? Stock? What kind of cam? Cant get any answers with out info.

4. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

The engine specs that he gave me are 325HP and 440 ft lbs of torque @3200 RPM. He used an Edelbrock TBI intake, 9:5:1 compression, 1.94/1.50 valves.( I dont know what any of that means!) Please let me know any and every mods that I need to do. I will be putting it in this weekend if everything goes well.

THANKS!

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

to support 325 hp you are gonna need a upgraded TBI unit and injectors. I would look into a Holley unit ... Howell FI can hook you up with just about any sized injector as well. AYou also will need a chip burned most likely. Also keep in mind the cam I will bet a 100 to 1 won't work with your ecm without help from a chip and even then it maybe impossible

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

440 ft lbs of torque? That seems a little unrealistic for a 9.5 to 1 325 hp 350. Espically with a TBI.
    I would think it would be no more than 380 ft lbs.
    Like the Capt says you aint goin to get that kind of power out of a stock TBI without modifing the PROM chip and getting some injectors with a higher flow rate and a bigger TBI.
    The cam is an issue too. the stock computer doesn't like cams with over .045 lift and durations more than 214 degrees. MAX.
    You need a cam that is compatable with your computer or it will not run right.

If you are going to put this engine in dont expect the claimed power with a stock TBI and chip. If the cam is too much it wont idle very well and may run rough.
    But you may get lucky and drop the engine in hook it up and every thing works great. It depends on how the engine is built.
    If you have performance problems here are some sites that can help you out with FI stuff and reprogramed chips.
    Howell-efi.com
    fastchip.com

Holley sells a bolt on TB unit with more flow than a stock one and I believe it has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator which really helps to dial it in to your engine.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSFI/502-6.html>Holley 670 cfm TBI</a>