Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NorthernRedNeck, Jun 6, 2002.

1. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

Well... the russt belt has finally taken its toll on my exhaust and its about dun. Woo-hoo! time for a justifiable upgrade!!! Anyways, I need a complete exhaust and was thinking about a single 3" with an aftermarket cat (of the same size) and possibly a flowmaster 50 or 60 series, now my trouble is in finding a set of 2-inta 1 headers, which i need since my truck has to get smog certified this fall. All opinions and advice are appreciated.

2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I went with edelbrock tes headers on my '87. with air tubes so all my smog stuff is operational. They didnt fit all that well on the passenger side, possibly due to a buggered frame. the y pipe fit fine under a 4 inch lift only ran into minor problems with ord shackle bolts rubbing exhaust. solved with help from grinder. overall im not that impressed with them due to cost if they were cheaper id be happy but they leak at a couple places, and all the passenger side bolts are pain in the ass to put on. rest of my system is new cat and flowmaster cat back. like you the michigan winters ate my exhaust system so i had no choice but to replace everything.

craig

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

is price an object? if not, get u some Doug Thorley coated headers w/ teh smog hookups. The drivers side is a full length header, but the passenger isnt quite one. Its ends on a down angle for the Y pipe i guess, but it just put another bend in my true dual setup. You can see the headers in my pics below. I have the Flow 50's but cant give you an idea of loudness since my pipes are really short as u see. 2.5" pipe.

4. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

Wow..those definetely are a sweet set of headers! But yes... I reluctantly admit that price is verry much an issue. I had thought about the Doug Thorleys but knew they were kinda outta reach. The feed back on the Edelbrocks was right about on par with what I had heard too...not exactly the quality you would expect for the money. Any other thoughs? Oh yeah..who deals the Thorleys'? or are they in-house only? Thanx

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i got mine through my local 4wd drive shop, go to http://www.thorleyheaders.com/dealers_start.html and that will tell u what dealers are near you. I dont remember what mine were exactly in price, but i passed my emissions test, and thats all that matters.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm running the Edelbrock TES on my 89 K5. They work good and were a easy install. I have had them on over 2 years and they ar holding up well and i have had no problems with leaks.
    i think there only 3 companies making emission legal headers for TBI K5s Edelbrock, BBK and Doug Thorley The Thorleys are excelent headers as are the stainless steel BBK but they are pretty pricey. The Edelbrocks are the least expensive and the quality is good.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you have anything on BBK headers? I figure if I go with headers, they are ging to be Stainless. No "major" header maker seems to offer any Stainless Headers, especially for our trucks. You or anyone have any more vendors for stainless headers?

8. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

9. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Same setup here as above: Edelbrock Headers, flowmaster 40's w/ 2.5 non-balanced exhaust. Only problem I've had with the headers is they weren't designed to fit a 4-speed manual, so had to squeeze (hole) the pipes out a bit to clear the slave cylinder.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

OOps. I checked BBKs web site and they dont make headers for TBI just LT1s. I know I have seen stainless headers for our trucks somewhere. I'll search thru my info when I get home. If I find it I'll post a link.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have my stock manifolds with a y-pipe, i think a 2.5" to the cat (Catco) and a 3" to the muffler from the cat, which is a Flowmaster 40 series, and then two 2.25" pipes that exit at a 90 degree angle behind the drivers side rear tire. Just got the part after the muffler done the other day, and it soulds great...nice and quiet o nthe freeway and at lower RPM's but once I get on it, its nice and aggressive sounding. Used to have 3.5" tips and it was too droning sounding.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Found those emissions legal stainless headers that fit TBI Blazers. <font color="red"> Here's the link: </font color> jbheaders.com
    Part# 1830s. Only 630 bucks /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Aso If you are lucky enough to find them GM put stainless steel exahust manifolds on their motorhomes and box vans. These resembled shorty headers. So if you ever see a junk TBI van or motorhome it might be worth a look <font color="red"> </font color>

13. dyeager535

If I'm going to go with headers, I want something as "reliable" as stock manifolds. I'm not dumb, I've learned from others mistakes. Coated headers are great, but I'm still seeing and hearing a lot of people having problems with the coatings. Sure you can take them off and send them back, but who wants to? As well, since header manufactures (like everyone else) can't seem to get parts to fit correctly, any time you have to "clearance" a header you end up ruining the coating in that spot. At least with stainless its ALL stainless, and if I have to dent them a bit to clear, its no biggie.

Last I checked (maybe 6 months ago) GMpartsdirect still listed the stainless header/manifold for our trucks (yes, the C/K trucks came with them too apparently in some cases) but they were as expensive as the stainless headers! : ) Thanks for the link. Apparently speed AND reliability cost $$ : )

14. dyeager535

A little late, but I just checked on this...I *thought* the years looked a little wrong on their site.

"Dorian,
    Sorry, nothing available for your Blazer in Stainless. Good luck and thank
    you for checking with us.

-----Original Message-----
    From: dyeager535@mindspring.com [mailto:dyeager535@mindspring.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 1:08 PM
    To: webinfo@jbaheaders.com
    Subject: Website request for information

Make: GM Truck
    Model: Chev K5 Blazer (Full Size 4wd)
    Year: 1986
    Engine: 5.7liter
    Cylinders: 8

Question: Wondering if you make any *stainless* headers for this truck.
    Same as '88-91 Suburbans, with AIR or not, doesn't matter, but need
    stainless. I see coated ones for the Suburbans, which would be the same, but no
    Stainless listed..."