Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI fuel injection swap ?s help found a sweet deal!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudduck, Aug 27, 2002.

1. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

found a 1989 GMC conversion van it is a 2500 Vandura that someone is parting out it has a TBI 350 motor. the motor runs.I can get it for $100 he said i could get the motor complete and all wiring,computer and whatever else i needed off of it to convert mine to fuel injection for that price. He needs the van gone it was hit in the side. My ? is what parts should i take off of the van for the swap into a 79 shortbed? i have to take everything out if i want it for that price.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you need the intake manifold and everything on it, the computer, distributor, a fuel pump, return lines to the tank, all the wiring, and that's about it i think. just take the whole dang motor and swap it in. it'd almost be easier.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If he's having the J/Y coming to pick it up, you should see if you can take it instead. Bring it to your place, take what you need out of it, try it, and if you need any thing else it will be there for you. When you are done, just have the J/Y come pick it up from your place. This is just a thought as I don't know how much room you have and/or what kind of neighbors you have, but by having it in your yard, you know you will be able to get Everything you need.
    If you can't, I would say grab the whole motor (accessories and all), grab any wiring and sensors you see, and the computer and wiring. I have never done this before, so there might be stuff I am missing, hopefully others will fill in the blanks.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I recently helped a friend pull the engine and tranny out of an '88 K5, so this is still pretty fresh in the brain... The location of some things may be slightly different on a van, but it has all the same components.

Take the motor and any wiring that's connected to it. The main EFI harness goes through the firewall on the passenger side of the engine. Unplug the harness from the computer and then you can carefully pull the harness into the engine compartment. There are also some wires that go to the fuse block. Remove the fuse block from the firewall and you can take it apart. The wiring to the engine is in its own little section of the fuse block and can be removed from the rest of the block.

There's a fat, sorta oval relay on the firewall on the passenger side. That's the fuel pump relay. Take it and the bracket that it's mounted to. There's also a square, flat black plastic part on the firewall, that has about 5 wires connected to the bottom of it. That's part of the spark knock detection system, so take that and the bracket that it's mounted to. I would also take the vapor canister. You shouldn't need to unplug any of the wiring at the engine end of the harmess. You can leave all the sensors and stuff hooked up and just disconnect everything at the other end.

5. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

thanks for the response and info i am getting the complete engine and everything else i need to do swap he has till end of sept to get rid of van so i am gonna strip what i need he said to take my time and i could get anything i need to make this work from the van if i haul it off for him. started engine this morning and it sounds fine has 100,000 on it but for 100 bucks for everything i can rebuild it before install no knocks no smoke it was a conversion van and he sold all the seats and other interior parts, got to make some calls to see if bro can help me pull what i needstill cant use left hand much hope to get help or i might have to pass on this thanks everyone

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's an awesome deal for $100! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif