Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Fuel Leak?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

Just got back from the lake! Took my 77 with, and having done the TBI conversion literally the day before I left, I was expecting to run into a few issues. I only found two -- EGR solenoid hooked up backwards, and a fuel leak. Solenoid is fixed, but I can't find that fuel leak anywhere. I can smell the raw fuel while I am driving slow, esspecially when my window is open, but none of my connections are even damp!

I did have my injector pod apart just before the conversion, so I can only imagine it is leaking in there somewhere...

Does anyone else have any ideas of where to look? It isn't on the lines that run from the tank up to the back of the throttlebody, but unless it is leaking off the back of those fittings, or out of the injector pod, I am at a loss...

The truck got slightly worse milage after the TBI conversion, 30 bucks for the trip instead of 25 bucks, but I am guessing that is due to the fuel leak.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Did you keep the 77 saddle tank? I had venting problems with my stock tank that caused a heavy fuel smell and vapor lock on hot days.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I did install the stock pump / sender into the stock fuel tank...

How did you solve the problem?

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

There is a plastic valve on the end of the vent tube, I removed it as a temporary fix. The permanent solution will be to install a TBI tank under the bed with correct sender, lines, and charcoal cannister.

You could try a vented fuel cap as well to help with any excess pressure. Wheeled up in Bangs Canyon by Grand Junction on a 90 plus day and I had so much excess tank pressure it pumped fuel out of the tank when I popped the gas cap.

I have not had a problem since clearing the vent. I just don't think the 77 carb tanks are adequate for the higher volume TBI return system.