Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI fuel pressure gauge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4X4HIGH, Nov 23, 2006.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Has anyone installed a CFM-tech or similiar fuel pressure gauge that can take some pics of it installed for me and give me any ideas as to how i need to modify the fuel line since it will not work by simply moving it backwards due to the coil being in the way.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

On my K5, I'm running an adjustable fuel regulator with an adapted fuel pump at ~35 psi. It runs an extension between the line and the regulator, it's tight, but it works. I then ran a piece of braded line up to a 0-50 psi gauge.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have installed the whole cfm-tech power package on imne and didnt have to modify any lines. I did however need to unclip one of the clips that hold the two lines together and do some convincing to get it to go back in the tbi. Overall, I was very impressed with the power package....although you have to take the top of the injectors off when you need to adjust the fuel pressure. Not hard...but I cant get my small fingers under the regulator to turn the thumb screw.
    -Harrison

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I bought the cfm tech adapter, but opted to run the gauge in a more visible spot.. Just ran an AM pro comp and their 2' or so sb line...

Mines out on the hood, but even if it wasn't there, I'd still run the same setup, just mounted in the engine compartment.. Didn't like the idea of a tiny gauge behind the tbi, hidden by an air cleaner..

The AM has been flawless and very acurate. Worth the few extra bucks to me over the small inline jobbies.. The adapter bumps the lines back a bit, but nothing a little tweaking didn't take care of...

You can see the sb line coming out in this shot..

[​IMG]

And the gauge is on the hood...

[​IMG]

5. 4X4HIGH

Do you have any pics you can post here for me. From what i was looking at on my blazer it doesn't appear as i can simply install the fitting then reattach the fuel line. It looks like the coil will be in the way. I do see the clamp on the backside of the passenger side head that holds both the lines and it is a little loose but i suppose i could try to remove it completely for the time being to see if i can pursuade the lines to cooperate with me.

6. 4X4HIGH

Do you possibly have a pic looking down on the TBI so i can get a good idea what's up with the lines.

7. ryoken

it will fit with the coil there... iiirc i just tweaked the lines, may have taken the clip off the back of the head.. i'll go down to the garage and see about a pic, it'll be from the side, not really in the mood to take the air cleaner off in my bloated state... i'll get back to you in a few...

8. ryoken

ok, here ya go.. from the top...

[​IMG]

9. 4X4HIGH

Hey thanks man, looks like it will fit but with some tweaking of the lines. Did you happen to notice if you removed the bracket on the back of the head?

10. ryoken

yeah, it allowed it to move back an inch or so toward the firewall.. no ill affect from that tho, the lines are still rock solid... it is tight near the coil, but very doable..

looking at it just now, it looks like I could get that back clip back on with some tweaking, but I'm not gonna bother, their not going anywhere...

11. BadDog

Looks like the one Ryoken posted is identical to mine except my gauge is under the hood, mounted above the AC compressor facing forward.

12. 4X4HIGH

Ok, i just spent the last hour messing with this stupid thing and there is NO WAY it will fit without me cutting the fuel line and making a new one. :mad: So much for bolt on parts.

13. ryoken

I wonder if your 89 lines are different... I assume you tried it by pulling the coil?

14. 4X4HIGH

I did not pull the coil. I did however remove the bracket from behind the passenger side head. Do you think that temporarily removing the coil will allow me to get this hooked up then bolt the coil back in place?

15. BadDog

I don't remember what was required on mine, just that it fit, if tightly. Seems like I did remove the coil. And maybe had to bend the bracket? I'll go look tomorrow, no time today...

16. ryoken

yeah, pull the coil.. get the line fitted up, then that'll give a solid point from which to tweak the line from to fit the coil back in.... iirc, the line needed to be tweaked down and maybe to the passenger side...

17. 4X4HIGH

Ok, third time's a charm. I just went out and pulled the coil and installed the fitting and with very little tweaking i was able to get the line to thread in and also got the coil back in. I fired it up and my regulator is set from the factory at 11.75 PSI. Now when i get a little extra cash i will buy the adjustable regulator and bump it up to about 13 PSI and see what that does for me. I have the injector pod spacer and also the velocity stack base already installed as well.

18. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah...it'll go..it just needs a little tweaking near the coil. iirc..mine is very tight between the coil and the line. Even with all the cfm-tech stuff, headers, and an edelbrock performer tbi intake on, I still have the fuel pressure around 12-12.25 (dont quite remember). Anything else is way rich.
    -Harrison

19. BadDog

Mine has a bored TB, healthy roller cam, and tweaked SR Torquer heads on a ZZ block. Custom chip works wonders, and the higher pressure offered several benefits when combined with stock injectors.