Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI fuel pressure, how are you getting 15 + PSI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Oct 12, 2005.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

I put in an adjustable Fuel pressure regulator and I can only get 14.5 PSI out of the GM stock pump. I want to vacuum reference my fuel pressure but to do that I have to get up to 18 to 20 PSI.

What pump or pumps are you all using to get these higher PSI.
    I tried searching could not find what I was looking for.

Thanks
    Tim

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as I know and from what I've experienced on my truck, anything over 14-15 psi and the injecters can't cope anyway. Mine ran way rich when I had it at 15 psi. You need to lengthen the cycle of the injecter to get more fuel not just up the pressure.

3. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

From the third gen.org site....top down solutions sells a lit to run a vfpr with a diff spring and a vacum delay valve for under a $100. He sells a diff spring instead of the heavy one it comes with but the thread says for a stock motor you can use your old spring with the vfpr.

DW

4. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Vrfpr

I have a VRFPR installed on my truck, but I can't use it unless I can get the fuel pressure to 17 or 18PSI. Once I get that set then when I put the vaccum hose on I will have 12 to 13 PSI at idle and 17 to 18 at WOT.

Also higher pressure does flow more fuel there is a chart on CFM-TECH that shows the difference in fuel flow of a given injector at different fuel pressures.

With the FPR set at a constant 12.5 to 13 PSI righ now the Sub jumps out of its skin until about 2000 RPM then it kinda flattens out, and if I back out of the throttle a bit the truck will start to accelerate quicker. This is a sign of leaning out.

Can I just bolt in a Camero TPI fuel pump and get higher pressure without burning something up? If so what years work?

Thanks

Tim

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmm...interesting.! I've got one of those fpr's too but haven't fitted it yet. Post up when you get the answers as I'd be interested hear.

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

yes, I used a pump for a 89 camaro, 5.7(all the 5.7Ls(350) were TPI, direct replacement in the stock sender

use a new peice of high pressure hose between the pump and the line on the sender though, I didn't and it sprung a leak, made lots of noise, all that high pressure spray inside the tank

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just about any GM pump of that vintage will work. Mine is some Cadillac application that is 60 or 70PSI. It's pretty loud without the "silencer" installed. :)

8. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys!

A Camero pump and a short section of high pressure hose.

Sweet thanks for the information.

Tim