Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI fuel pump replacement- get the whole assem. or just the pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Apr 30, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i can get just the pump and screen from napa for like 60 bucks or get the whole assembly with sending unit for 260 bucks. big price difference /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif can't be too hard to just replace the pump, rught??? any one do this?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just replace the pump unless your sender is bad.

And get your pump from somewhere besides Napa, you can get the same pump with a lifetime warranty somewhere else for about $40.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

It you get the pump at napa, make sure you get the ACDelco replacement pump (should be an EP386). Once the tank it out, use a brass drift to undo the locking cam ring and the entire sender comes out then there is a hose clamp that holds the a little section of fuel line to the outlet of the pump, Remove the clamp, remove the old "sock" filter, remove the rubber isolator under the pump and replace the pump, filter, isolator and you may need to replace the little section of fuel line...

Yeah, you only need the entire sender if the send protion is not working right...

Chris

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    .....Once the tank it out, use a brass drift to undo the locking cam ring.....

[/ QUOTE ]

The brass drift is the key... NO SPARKS! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    John

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The brass drift is the key... NO SPARKS! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    John

[/ QUOTE ]
    A wooden dowl would work well too!

This is correct. Sparks around a fuel tank are BAD /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Chris

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Just pickup a new pump. Not hard to replace at all unless you have to drop the tank while its full /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif In my S10 I just took the pickup bed off when I did my pump because it was easier than dropping a full tank.