Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Fuel Pump Wire Gauge?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm busy doing all the electrical on my truck, but I've run into a bit of a problem. I have no idea what gauge of wire I should be running for the stock TPI in-tank pump (same basic pump at the TBI) in my rear mounted Suburban tank.

I've got heavy gauge wire all the way up to the relay, but need to know if I'd be alright running the same gauge of wire for the pump as you would for the tail-lights. My basic thought process is that the tail light wiring harness is the right length to go from the front of the truck to the back, and has that sweet black shield on it, so I thought I'd grab a second one, and just use the three wires I need inside for the fuel pump / sending unit down that direction, and just pull the last one out.

Any thoughts?

Russ

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it should work, In my TPI harness i am using the stock TBI stuff and i was very suprised at the size i figured it would be larger. But if you are looking at running a proformance pump in the future you might want to overgague it a little, look into how many amps your pump is going to draw and figure what wire gague from there

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool, according to that page, the 14 gauge wire I've been using for everything will be more than adequate for my fuel pump, assuming it draws 10 amps :)

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The stock wire size from my '89 sub was 14 guage...