Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI fuel pumps?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, May 16, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I am looking for an EXTERNAL fuel pump. I know the factory ones were internal tank and since I just bought a new tank would like to keep my old one, I believe they need to be in the 6-14PSI range. A swap out of another car would be ideal so when I'm brokedown on the side of the road in bumfuk idaho I can get a replacement part. Anyone?

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'd just get an aftermarket electric one and run a fuel pressure regulator. The summit one work fine and is reasonaby priced. Just make sure you mount it as close to the tank as possible and you'll need to run a return line back to the tank from the pressure regulator.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    right thats a way to do it but I was looking more for a easier (cheaper) way of doing it. I know someone will say their summit pump(or whoever) is the best and would never fail, well nothing ever holds up in my rig. Kinda hard to run down to a autowhore or whatever and pick up one. I was kinda looking for a swap out of another vehicle (ie E2000 out of a 86 ranger...thats the one thats great for TPI by the way)

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Nothing I know for sure on... but I have read about guys w/ carbs using external electric pumps as a cheap hi-flow, but trying to remeber of hand what it was... Maybe off Merkur's which is Ford parts. I have heard of the ranger pump mod before. Just for the heck of it maybe see what kinda psi and pumps V8 turbos w/ carbs used in the early 80's. One that comes to mind is possibly the 301 Pontiac turbo motor. Maybe it is a mechanical even that can keep up like the high performance mechanicals. Also maybe look into the Nissan/Datsun 300Z's w/ turbo. Not sure if either pump would work or is of the electric variety.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Isn't it supposed to be around 30 PSI? I tried to do the same thing in my MPFI camaro a couple years ago, but couldn't find one with pressure that high to go external (Camaro tank is a bit of a hassle to get in and out). TBI might be lower pressure, I don't know, but I had thought the in-tank pumps produced much higher output. If anybody's sure, let me know before I stick one of my old Camaro MPFI pumps in this TBI truck when it's pump let's go!!
    The tank on the K5 is easy enough to get out, why don't you just stay with the stock setup? Just curious.

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you can't come up with something external, you could make changing the internal pump much easier by cutting an access panel in the cargo area floor above the fuel tank. You could bolt/rivet/weld a couple metal tabs onto the panel and bolt it back down once the pump swap is done. I plan on doing this to my truck someday (probably when the pump quits...).

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

TBI needs 13 PSI or so, max. Multiport systems typically run at 42 PSI or so. I found an external high pressure pump to use when I installed the TPI setup in my '75. It's Bosch pump for a Jag/Mercedes OEM setup. Can't think of any external electirc pumps offhand that would work for TBI. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'd just go with the stock pump, they're affordable and reliable.

As a side note, the stock TBI pumps work quite well with the Holley Pro-Jection systems (the pumps they come with are crap).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Be careful with cutting the hole in the floor. I almost did it with my old truck when the pump did quit, but you have to move the sender assembly in too many different directions to get it out of the tank. The angles never would've worked for me, unless the hole was most of the bed size, and then it's not worth it.

It's hard to explain what I mean, but when you pull out this sender assembly from the top of the tank, you have to go straight up, angle sideways, up, angle again down along the side of the tank, twist, then out, or some similar order. I just remember taking out the sender and thinking the hole in the floor wouldn't have worked unless it was a massive hole.

It might work if you have a body lift, though...

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'm not trying to flame any manufacturers here, but both fuel pumps went in my parents' S10s within 6-months of each other. Both lasted about 7 years. Bought new off the dealer lot. I replaced them with Carter pumps and both have gone again within 6 months. I've put OEM AC/Delco units in this time. I realize any manufactured products can have a bad batch, but that's REAL lousy.