Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Fuel System

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Apr 28, 2004.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Is the entire fuel system pressurized or just the fuel send line?

I ask because I can't for the life of me get the lock-ring that holds the sending unit on back onto the tank (after replacing fuel pump, and bolting tank back up) I know I know...I should have put the sending unit back on while the tank was out. But I could not get the send fuel line off the the sending unit - the metal line actually started crimping when I tried to loosen the nut. So the sending unit stayed hanging by that line, while I replaced the pump. So I figured I could just fire it up, drive it over to my mechanic and pay out the a$$ for his labor. BUT it won't fire up... I know the pump is pumping fuel, because it's leaking out of the connection between the braided line and hard line to the fuel filter /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif . But probably not enough to lose alot of pressure. (I had a similar leak on my front braided lines for about a year) Today was not a good day.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't for the life of me get the lock-ring that holds the sending unit on back onto the tank

[/ QUOTE ]
    Make sure to clean the ring real good but keep all the dirt from dropping into the tank, I had to use a vacume cleaner to get 10 years of crud out of the tank side ring, also make sure that the little tabs are not bent, you should be able to bend them back if they are.

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

SWEET Steve HIMSELF responded to my post /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

...Yea there is a bunch of crud around the hole. And yea...I'm almsot sure I bent those tabs while getting it off. I'm just at that point where it took me 2.5 hours to bolt the stupid tank back on (oh wait...bolt the skid plate back on because those straps hate me with a passion). Even though I know I need to take it off again to correctly deal with this, it just adds to the frustration, ya know?