Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI fuel tank sending unit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Jul 3, 2003.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I am swapping to TBI onto my Blazer and want to swap to a TBI tank. I am looking for a used sending unit and will probably get a new tank and fuel pump. What years and applicaitons of sending units will work on the 87-91 Blazer fuel tanks (around here the 87-91's are rare)?

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

'87-91 K5 sending unit is all that will work without fabrication. You can apparently use the truck ones (would have to be drivers side only take I think) but you have to lengthen the thing. Not sure if the float works correctly after that.

You can still buy them new from GM for something over $100.

3. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gifthe TBI in tank sending units will all be for the most part the same depending on if the tank is side mount or rear. I have a buddy that is using a early 90's truck sending unit for his <font color="red"> </font> TPI <font color="black"> </font> Swapped in 406. All that he used that was different was the pump that came form a 90 or so camaro, so the sending units from any rear mount tank (in your case) will also work for you all you need is the pump replacement kit for the year of TBI your using. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

i hope this helps you but if you still have trouble i can get info from my buddy who also work for GM.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah remember you can also use pumps for different applications like caprice ones or camaro ones, yeah, but make sure you get one for same fuel injection system as you have including all hoses and lines and connections, IE TBI or TPI, etc. TBI runs around 14-17psi on average and TPI runs around 40-45 PSI on average, so.,,,

5. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    the TBI in tank sending units will all be for the most part the same depending on if the tank is side mout or rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

So since a 22 gallon K5 TBI sending unit, an '87 TBI pickup sending unit, and a 33 gallon TBI K5 tank are all different, you are telling us that an '89 TBI Camaro fuel tank (for instance) is exactly the same depth as which one of the above?

Just to humor myself, a 1990 305 TBI Camaro fuel tank sender is part number 25027221, 1987 TBI K5 is 25094539.

6. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid they weren't interchangeable. The cheapest price I could find on a 87-91 Blazer sending unit was $199 at chevy duty. I guess I'll just keep looking for a used one.

7. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    the TBI in tank sending units will all be for the most part the same depending on if the tank is side mout or rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

So since a 22 gallon K5 TBI sending unit, an '87 TBI pickup sending unit, and a 33 gallon TBI K5 tank are all different, you are telling us that an '89 TBI Camaro fuel tank (for instance) is exactly the same depth as which one of the above?

Just to humor myself, a 1990 305 TBI Camaro fuel tank sender is part number 25027221, 1987 TBI K5 is 25094539.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What I was saying was that all TRUCK and BLAZER sending units will be for the most part the same, depending on the style of tank you have. I just assumed that people would know that i was talking about truck and K5 sending units, due to the fact that we drive trucks and K5's not cars. Unless maybe you drive a car instead, I will be more specific for you in the future.
    If you read more carefully I said Camaro Pump Kit as in only the pump (it's a kit to change the pump only) for when your pump dies but sending unit is still good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm running a sending unit from an 87 TBI pickup saddle tank in my small K5 tank. Fits perfectly length wise, pump's right on the bottom just like the tank it came out of... Only problem is that the tabs that index is needed minor mods. Basically, I just bent it out of the way so I could turn it where I wanted it...

9. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    What I was saying was that all TRUCK and BLAZER sending units will be for the most part the same

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be great, except that you are 100% incorrect.

A 31 gallon K5 TBI sending unit, and a side saddle pickup TBI sending unit, are NOT interchangeable.

If you'd like, I could post the different part numbers for both of them, (actually three different part #'s, since the driver and passenger side saddle sending units are also different than each other) but I already know this, because the depth of the tanks are entirely different. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Next time, if you'd like to be more clear, be correct.

10. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

When did i ever say the sending units are interchangeable???
    I didn't you are the one going on about that.
    All I said was that for the most part they were the same, I was trying to give you an example that you could interchange parts like the pump on the sending unit to fit the aplication. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif An example a 1990 sending unit out of a saddle mout pick-up and a 1996 pump for my 5.7l Vortec in my Truck, now do you see what I am saying. I do late model Fuel Injection Engine swaps, do you think I don't know what pumps and sending units will work if that were so none of my swaps would work. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    Oh and funny how "BadDog" has no problem with his " entirely diferent" sending unit, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

11. BadDog

Yes, but I have the short tank. The saddle seems to be roughly the same depth as the 22-25 (or whatever it is) K5 tank. If I had the deeper tank, there would be more to modify...

Bottom line is it looks like you both have good, valid points. There are issues to be aware of. It's not just a grab and plug it in thing. However, they are similar enough that, with some research and luck, you can put different combos together and make it work. And it seems to me that's basically what your both saying, you just differ in how your saying it...

12. BadDog

Oh, btw, Dorian knows exactly what I've got set up, he is one of the guys that helped me work out what to do with my setup when I put it together...

13. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    What I was saying was that all TRUCK and BLAZER sending units will be for the most part the same

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Same, interchangeable. Different meanings?

14. GQ 350

GQ 350 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Same, interchangeable. Different meanings?

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gifAt this point it dosen't matter what you do to pick my posts apart, I just don't care I got my point across and thats all I care about. I agree with"BadDog" and have no desire to argue with you any more, their are better things to do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifHave a nice day /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

15. dyeager535

Good, cause I hate people that would mislead others if not corrected.