Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi gurus look! need a new motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevycanada, Jul 6, 2002.

1. chevycanada

chevycanada Registered Member

i am goin to starting the new motor for my truck in the next month or so, but i need to find a core. my question is do i need to find a 87 or new block or can i use and older one? i will be running the stock TBI but the 87 TBI intake is a diff bolt pattern then and 86 or older motor? is there a TBI intake that will fit an older motor or can i just swap the heads from my 87 onto say an 82 block?
    thanks

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The main diff between a pre 85 block and heads and post 85 is the one piece rear main seal and the 4 center holes on the heads. They go straight down instead of being angled. If you put newer style heads on an older block I think the only difference would be having a two piece main instead of the one piece. I think the oil pans and pan gaskets are different too. I'm sure it would work tho. You can buy a new motor from the dealer for less than $2000. The core charge is only $100. I hope I made some sense. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif I've been installing a new motor all night. The beer is weighing a little heavy right now.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

What Jimmyjacl said... The heads and intake changed in 87 to hve a different angle, and I think again in '88, but I'm not sure. Heads will bolt to any block from the late 50's to late 80's I think...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The other difference is that you'd need the older style flex plate or flywheel. It's not just the rear main seal that was different, the bolt pattern holding the flywheel or flex plate was different too.

Rene