Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI gurus....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by moneypit, Feb 13, 2004.

1. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I am converting to TBI on moneypit2. Question is I have a fuel cell with sump, can I run a external electric Holly pump that puts out 45psi? Will the TBI unit regulate it without any issues? Or should I add a external regulator also? Thanks-moneypit /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

TBI is regulated at 9 -13 pounds so a regulator will be needed.

Also i believe someone said they make baffled fuel cells so you can run an 87 up sender with pump...if not with a frame mount pump you will still run into the dreaded stumble when she sucks air...with a baffled tank with in tank pump this is avoided. A trick years ago was to pump from the tank to another pump located in a small secondary holding tank so that the stumble when air is sucked was kept to a min.

DW

3. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Will the built in regulator in a Holley 670cfm TBI regulate it or do I need a second regulator?

4. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Yes, the TBI regulator will handle 45psi. With that pressure you may need to make your FPR adjustable. Here is a link for that. The TBI regulators are bypass style, I believe that is what you call it, it is on the return side of the injectors and regulates the fuel pressure by raising or lowering the return flow. From what I read you can run up to 20-25psi safely through TBI injectors and greatly increase the lb/hr flow rate. But, if you do this you will need to reprogram your eprom if you make significant changes in injector flow rate.