Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi hard to start ***UPDATE, FIXED*** I think

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, May 25, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

about a month ago my '88 K5 started taking a lot longer to start when cold. sometimes i have to cycle the starter for about 10 seconds 2 or 3 times for it to start. i replaced the fuel the filter shortly after it started doing this and it didn't help. once it's been started and running for a while it starts fine if it doesn't sit for too long. i know this has been covered before, but i couldn't find anything with a search. any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE!!
    replace the engine temp sensor a couple of nights ago, helped a little, but still taking a little while to start, but not as long. replaced the fuel pump relay a little while ago, started up like a dream, it had been sitting for about 6-7 hours when i did this. last week if it set that long, took my about 2-3 times cycling the starter for about 10-15 seconds, i even started pumping the gas to get it running, let's hope that replacing both of those pieces solved my problems.

THANKS TO ALL WHO OFFERED UP ADVICE, AND INFO. ON THIS PROBLEM I WAS HAVING.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: tbi hard to start

hard to start TBI

Also, if the fuel pump relay is shot, engine needs to develop approx. 5psi oil pressure to start.

I'd imagine the first one is a more likely culprit. You need to have a scanner hooked up to it, to see that the ECm temp sensor is working correctly. Believe it's Autozone that will hook you up with a scan for free, if you live where they are.

3. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the relay is not building pressure before you try to start it. Turn the key on once, and listen for the fuel pump to start running. If you dont hear it the relay is shot

4. rick88blaze

thanks for the advice guys. i'll get the relay checked out tomorrow. i did listen for the fuel pump, i can't hear it when i first try to start it. also, i changed the pick up coil and ignition module about 2 years ago.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh check the temp sensor, i had forgotten about that long lasting post of mine lol.

6. rick88blaze

i gotta a dumb question for you guys. where exactly is the fuel pump relay? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

up on the fire wall, if your faceing the engine bay its on the left side, its a black box mounted to the fire wall, with a plug sticking into it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. rick88blaze

i'll take a look tomorrow. i picked up a temp. sensor tonight, gotta love 24 hr. Autozone's! i'll put it in tomorrow, and see if that fixes it. if not, i'll get a new relay tomorrow and try that. anyway, to y'all, thanks for the help, i'll post up tomorrow if it worked out.

rick

9. rick88blaze

changed the engine temp sensor this morning. seems to have fixed it, i'm still going to change the relay too. still not starting like it used to. thanks to all for the help!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    rick

10. rick88blaze

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you ever figure out if the pump was priming the system or not?

12. rick88blaze

i never got the computer codes read, but after i replaced the pump relay, i could definately hear the fuel pump kick in when i turned the key on. so the relay had to be the problem, also, is a fuel pump relay supposed to rattle when you shake it? my old one did after i took it off.