Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI head question and intake manifold possible leaking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90K5, May 12, 2003.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

When i replaced my intake manifold gaskets the first time, i noticed knockouts for EGR on the gaskets, but didnt cut them out. Thought this was a bad move, and was causing my EGR to not function. Changed the gaskets again tonight because it was leaking oil like crazy out the back seal (or lack of) there are no holes for EGR in the heads, only in the intake, so basically the holes there lead nowhere, right into the gasket, or onto the side of the head...now maybe i'm just crazy but that doesn't seem right. Are all TBI's like that or has someone swapped out my heads or intake? Im pretty sure both are stock, i guess the heads could be non-egr though. Anyone know?

Also, started truck, lots of white smoke, which is understandable with the amount of coolant that poured into the heads when removed intake. It has cleared up for the most part, but still has sweet smelling exhaust and a small amount of white smoke. Can an intake leak water into the heads like that? The coolant level is too hard to tell right now, and it doesnt take too much i guess to cause smoke. I let it idle for about 20 minutes to try and get it to clear up, but still a little smoke. I also see i have an exhaust leak about everywhere possible. Turned it off, wasnt liking the sounds coming from the engine, but i could be timing i guess, dont have a timing light anymore - thanks LKJR - any ideas, or is that likely or possible?

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

had the intake leak problem recently. After changing it once, it still leaked. Changed it again along with intake manifold. Sealed nicely. I changed the oil 3 times to ensure all coolant was flushed out. Also, vented the valve covers to allow the steam to escape. Cleared up. No issues after that. Did you allow the end seals time to dry/set)? Also, did you put a thin coat of gasket maker around the coolant ports on the gasket? I wouldn't run it unless you where sure it is no longer leaking.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yeah, i dont think i got the ports very well this time....hopefully i can reuse the gasket, just soakin it in water for a while. I drained the oil last night, added more coolant, it leaked out of the radiator, then drained the oil pan again, it had some water in it. so it looks like i get to do it againa!!!!!
    im getting pretty good at this. last time it took about 2 hours...I'll see if i can beat that

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Are you using the Fel Pro gaskets with the sealer already around the ports? That is the only way to go. They are cheap and I have used them on five different engines with no leaks. I use a small amont of additional silicone around the coolant ports

Also do not use the cork gaskets for the end seals, just use RTV silicone for the ends. Never had a leak there either.

Oh yeah, next time drain the coolant before taking the intake off /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You're supposed to drain the block of coolant before you remove the heads. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif There's a drain plug on each side of the engine. Yours should have the knock sensor screwed into the drain on the passenger side. Drain from BOTH those plugs before you yank the heads and you won't gush coolant into your engine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm using fel pros, dont have the sealer already in there though. They didnt even come with end gaskets, just used RTV. I figured out about draining it, took the temperature sensor out while it was running, to make sure the thermostat was open, so no problems there. Last time i think i missed part of one of the coolant ports, that was the problem...anyone know about the heads? thanks

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like your heads have been swapped. I just checked a set of TBI heads out in the garage, just to be sure, and indeed they do have EGR ports. What's the casting number on your heads? The TBI heads I have are number 14102193. You can check the casting numbers at http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

never checked the casting numbers....this truck is gone ASAP anyway...looks like it has been torn into before. thanks

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    dont have a timing light anymore - thanks LKJR - any ideas, or is that likely or possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

quite your bitchin, at least you'll get that back fixed if your lucky, I had to buy a new radiator.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if your lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

the key words....actaully i bought a timing light at autozone today, timed it real quick and took it back...hopefully i wont need one again, but i think its still drinking coolant...this truck needs to go bad.

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Got it fixed, no more leaks...just gotta wash all the oil off the bottom of the truck and driveway...on the driveway note, everyone make sure you take the drain bucket out from under the truck before you drive off...tends to be less of a mess that way.

12. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That sucks dude I hate when I do stuff like that /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif