Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI HEADERS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dleroy43, Aug 27, 2002.

1. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what kind of headers will work with an 89 sub 350 tbi. I have a desent single exshust now but it wont be to heartbreaking to get true duals. my main prob is the older body and newer tbi engine and its sensers. comments on what people are running with thier tbi would help, especialy CA becouse I will be moving back one day.

K1500 SUB-CULTURE

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if only i knew... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Can't give you any info on the CA deal. But here is what I have. I'm in a 90 K5 with all stock TBI. I opted for the Thorley headers. Used the stock O2 sensor. They mounted and bolted in really easy. No clearance issues. I did however, order the ones designed for a 4" lift, which was not such a good idea in the off-road world. As they dropped the cross-over pipe where it goes under the front driveshaft by 4". So now it sticks down like a sore thumb. As far as duals..... all I can say is don't de-crease your back-pressure. I opened mine up with the isngle exhaust and wow, yeah great it sounded good and loud but it dropped my gas milage on a 31 gallon tank from 390 per tank to about 340-350. So if you do go dual, your gonna have to re-duce your pipe size all the way from the collector back. More than likely depending on your needs or wants, you'll prolly need to go down to 2" or 2 1/4" pipe from the 3" collector/CAT into some Flowmaster (for example) 40 series. And it will sound better, and deeper plus give you the slight performance bonus you'd like as well. Don't be fooled by the loudness and the good sounds. This more often than not will hurt you tremendously on the bottom end which is where you will be 80% of the time with this motor. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Went with the coated thorleys, emissions hookups as well, passes emissions, didnt get the ones for a 4" lift, pics below. Am VERY satisfied