Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kennyw, Nov 10, 2003.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have a 350 TBI setup I may sell to another member. Only question is wether the 350 heads (from an '88 K5) would be any good on a 305? I dont think they will work to well just as a guess. I already know he will need a computer for the 305.

So my other question, I will probably sell him everything but the heads and use them on my '79 K10 since I need to do the head gaskets soon anyway. But I will most likely pick up an alum intake to use the stock quadrajet for now.

What are the specs of the '88 TBI heads? I can get casting #'s off of them if needed.

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay, from my understanding, OOPS! *350* heads on a 305 = a dog. I think that the 350 heads have a larer combustion chamber, meaning lower compression in the cylinder. I think, not positive on that just adding my thoughts.

In your other question, the heads are probably 1.94's and work on your other engine, you woll have to drill the intake bolt holes out to make them work. The TBI heads have flat bolt pattern instead of an angld bolt, east fix just wallow the whole out to make the bolt go through straight instead of angled.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

TBI heads off a 350 wont work well on a 305. As above post says the combustion chamber is bigger on the 350 heads. They will lower the compression ratio on the 305 and it will make no power.

The casting numbers on TBI heads are on top of the head in the center. (You have to take off the valve cover)
    The best TBI heads are # 14102188. GM started using them in 1988. They are swirl port heads very similar to vortecs, except with a larger combustion chamber. They make better power than other TBI heads. Not all trucks got these heads so check the number.
    Specs:
    350: int:1.94 Exh:1.50 76cc chamber
    305: int:1.84 Exh:1.50 58cc "

Dont expect any performance gains putting TBI heads on a Carbed 350. They dont flow all that great and are designed for the smaller cfm flows of the TBI.

4. kennyw

Not expecting much for performance gains, just need to replace a blown head gasket and/or cracked heads I currently have. Plus I would get the better valve covers in the process.

5. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not expecting much for performance gains, just need to replace a blown head gasket and/or cracked heads I currently have. Plus I would get the better valve covers in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a set of 305HO heads from a '87 Camaro (centerbolt valve covers) that I used to own, if you are interested. I also have the roller cam block too.

6. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a set of 305HO heads from a '87 Camaro (centerbolt valve covers) that I used to own, if you are interested. I also have the roller cam block too.

[/ QUOTE ]

My truck is a stock 350 V8 so the 350 TBI heads will be fine. But the guy buying my TBI setup may be interested in them for his 305. I will send him a link to this post so he sees what you have.

7. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I would be interested in the heads. How much are you looking to get for them?

8. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would be interested in the heads. How much are you looking to get for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

$50+ shipping