Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Jun 19, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got to thinking the other day (first mistake) about putting Tbi on my stepside but every thing I've read says you can't do it cuz the stock computer won't handle it ...... What about using a stock big block tbi setup ??? computer, harness, sensors, throttle body ETC. would it work ?? or am I missing something important??? I'd use my current intake (performer RPM airgap) with the adapter for the throttle body

2. yellowK20

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

whats the motor in your step side? Most likely you will want a custom chip. I'm gonna guess you have a 383 or something similar. No factory computer would give you optimum performance for such a motor.

4. yellowK20

It's a 377 destroke. 400 block ,350 crank ,6.0" rods vortec heads ,about 9.8 to 1 comp., crane energizer cam 272 duration .454 lift, full msd ignition ,Flowjunk headers, RPM airgap intake ,600cfm edelbrock carb ,jesel belt drive, J.E. flattop .040 over piston, and 2-1/2" exhaust with 12" glass packs . It works great here but when ever I drive to Tucson It runs way to lean to the point of pinging under normal accelaration and dieseling when I shut it off I have to retard the timing alot to get it to stop pinging or at least not as bad and richen up the carb quite a bit With TBI I wouldn't have to mess with it . It's not as big a deal an more now that I have my 86 K20 but I'd still like to take this thing on some more road trips once I get it fixed

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

you should read in the truckin mags they usally have good tech stuff in them bout doing swaps such as this/ Yes most of the trucks in there are 2wd and lowered/ Yes some of them look good/ Yes they are almost all chevys in there b/c chevys kick arse. b/c most are chevys with TBI or TPI they have a lot of upgrades for them and computer mods and whatnot check it out.

6. yellowK20

Thanks, I like to read those mags . they got cool stuff in them that you can't get in the 4x4mags

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can do anything you want. Burning a custom chip would be a necessity though, at least for it to run at maximum potential.

8. yellowK20

Where is a good place to look into this stuff ?I tried arizona speed and marine but there website didn't work for me.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To be honest, I don't know who provides this stuff. Perhaps check someplace like www.thirdgen.org and see if they have links, or forums that cover this stuff.

I'm going to get into burning the chips myself, check out winALDL for yourself. Lets you interface with the ECM, then you buy the PROM burning stuff (looks like you can do it for under $200) and go to town. It takes a bit to get the PROM's "right", so multiple tries seem to be the norm before it's perfect. Which makes me think that buying "custom" PROM's online isn't the best approach. IMO