Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Idle Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tom, Aug 15, 2001.

1. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Our '90 TBI blazer runs great, except that the computer won't let the RPM drop rapidly when the gas pedal is released. This is a real pain with the stick shift (SM465). It makes shifts slower and rougher than normal. Is there a way to correct this? My guess is that this feature is part of the smog control system. The TBI is better than the quadrajet in every way except for this annoying characteristic. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Gas pedal released? Okay. Anyway, sounds like maybe the TBI gasket is bad. Easy way to check is spraying carb cleaner (correct me if I'm wrong, can't remember what was used) around the TBI and this will find the leak if there is one. Gasket kits are cheap and easy to replace.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I had a high revving problem also that kept me from passing smog. They wanted 400 bucks to diagnos and fix the problem. Turned out to be a leaking TBI gasket. Like was mentioned, use carb cleaner and listen for the RPMs to jump a little. It's easy and cheap to check for this and the repair (gasket) is about $10 and about an hour to do. Check this fist.

4. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

Do you spray the carb cleaner around the base of the Gasket...Also have any of you adjusted the idle on a TBI..???or is it computer controlled only

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

TBI with high ildle concerns;
    -Check for TBI gasket leaks, very common problem. way-outside (fumes will bring tears to your eyes), spray the base of the TBI, engine idle should increase if there is a leak.
    -Check for throttle shaft bore wear. Grab the throttle shaft and wiggle it, there should only be rotational movement and no "slop" in the shaft. Also, spary carb cleaner around the shaft will also help find the vacume leak.
    -Check throttle bores for contamination, use carb spray to clear and clean.
    (there are someother possible causes to engine idle concerns, I have found the list above to be the most common)

TBI idle sys is controlled by the IAC (Idle air controler) and ECM. Do not atempt to adj engine idle externaly.

<font color=white>It's good to be out</font color=white>
    <font color=white>Out of my mind and out of control</font color=white>
    <font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That's an emissions-control feature programmed into the computer. Do you have any other engine mods? If so, maybe <a target="_blank" href=http://www.fastchip.com>www.fastchip.com</a> can burn you a new chip that doesn't have that feature.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>