Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI in a 70 K5 - Tank & Fuel line suggestions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcmlxix, Apr 22, 2003.

1. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

I have a 70 K5 with SM456 & NP205. I am pullin out that combo (and its for sale with everything including a new clutch with 8 miles) and have a 88 K5 donor truck. I want to put in the TBI motor and 700r4 w/ NP208. I need feedback on how to set up the fuel system.

Some one already put in a large(er?) aftermarket tank in the truck but I will need a return fuel line and fuel pump for the TBI out of the 88 K5. Some one said use the tank out of the 88 or the other suggestion was use and external in line fuel pump and just add a return line. Whats easier? The tank on the 88 exits out the other side then ours. Suggestions?

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you want to use the '88 fuel tank you can swap it front to rear and install it that way. The inlet hose and vent hose are larger diameters than your original tank has. I did a similar swap on my '72 Suburban. I brazed a chunk of the larger inlet pipe onto my inlet pipe and filled the gap with brazing rod. I admit it sounds butch, but it actually looks good and functions perfectly. Your vent hose can be adapted with a steel heater hose adapter available at any quality parts store. The nice thing about this swap is you get baffling in the tank for the fuel pump pickup. This is not really an issue until you get to 1/2 tank or lower. This is a nice way to keep the truck oe making it more possible to get parts at any parts store that is worth its wheat (helpful when out of town). For me, OE pumps have had the best lifespan, if you have a Delco distributor/warehouse nearby you are looking for a Delco# EP386 and a Delco# TS1 strainer. BTW aftermarket steel replacement tanks have steel baffles that don't break loose like the oe tank's plastic baffles. Good luck! Nick

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

first off...your pulling the strongest combo out of your truck??? if your planing on big tires and hard wheeling you might want to keep the sm456 and np205, just pull the motor out a replace that...