Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI in a first gen

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Nov 7, 2002.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have a chance to get a complete motor with TBI including computer and everything else I want to take. It is out of a 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. So what is all involved in the swap. I am going to pull the motor and put the whole deal in the jimmy if it sounds like a smart thing to do.

Any info/advice would be appreciated. I know taking the harness would be good to do or would it be better to order a new one. OEM or after market what is better and affordable?

What issues will I run into?

It will go in the 70 jimmy with 350 turbo and 205 transfer case..

Thanks

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I think in an 87 the motor and chassis harnesses are still pretty much seperate, I would get the harness and computer. The only issue might be a tranny sensor. Also grab the o2 sensor to put in your exaust so your computer gets the proper readings. Basically you have to drill a hole and weld in the bung for it not too difficult. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head right now. I have a tbi swappin book somewhere at home and will check it out for you tonight. Only thing to remember is that stock motors from this era are not that powerful but you could step on it a little with an edelbrock manifold, larger tb, headers and a chip. I am actually planning a similar swap for mine.

3. 70jimmy

I am a rookie with TBI so will my Edelbrock intake currently on my 350 swap over or does it have to be one specifically for TBI?

4. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I believe that a factory unit needs a dedicated intake due to the throttle bore sizes... I am not positive however. I will check it out and see but are you gonna drop the who;e motor in or just take the tbi and swap it over?

5. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I did this a little over 2 years ago i bought the book from summit TBI TPI swap it has every thing you need to know to do the swap. I think around $30.00 is what i paid.
    Im running a 350 out of a 1990 with TBI i love it.. But this time next year im putting a 1997 chevy 454.
    <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I run a 91 Camaro TPI setup on my 71, but TPI is very similar to TBI. I took EVERYTHING from the car. Use the stock harness, you will save money. I laid the harness out on the floor and removed all unnescasary circuits before I put it in my truck. I used a Painless 7-fuse Circuit Boss to power the ECM, fans, fuel pump and all their relays. It made the wiring part very easy. The hardest part of the conversion was swapping in a later model gas tank (I used a 31 gallon tank out of a 87 K5 so I could use the factory F-body pump that every parts house has). You will not be disapionted with EFI

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Does your 91 TPI have the AIR? I've got an 89 IROC that we are debating on wether to part it out or fix it and if we part it I was thinking of getting the engine but it has AIR and I would rather get one that doesn't have all that junk. Is there any difference that you know of between the air and non air?

8. 70jimmy

Roostr 84,
    I was planning on putting the whole motor in. It has less miles than mine and I think runs a little better.

Thanks for all the reponses.

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">The car I got everything from had it, but I just left it out.

10. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

You could just get a serpentine belt for the by-pass on the air couldn't you. Then just leave all the a/c stuff off.

11. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Im pretty sure that it has a dedicated intake. I would run whats stock until I got it running perfectly then begin to upgrade. Also another thing to consider if it hasn't been mentioned is the Vehicle speed sensor. This is important because it prevents the motor from stalling when in gear at idle. You could probably find one for a th350 though and adapt it to yours, or just raise the idle some but this may defeat the purpose of tbi b/c it idles nice and low.

Also you could run an external pump if you wanted to but buy or make a little resevoir for it. Just another option. In tanks usually last longer b/c they are cooled by the fuel though.

Edit: Geez that was ugly; I have a phantom keyboard it types when it wants to.

12. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Glad to see I'm not the only one out here on the Western Slope getting greasy! Good luck on the swap /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Doug