Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI in older truck. VSS.???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Jun 8, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I'm putting a stock TBI motor and fuel system in a '78 what has to be done about the VSS? Do you have to run one. I've heard that you can't get a good idle without it. In which case, how do you fit one to an old truck?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

painless wiring sells one goes inline with the speedo cable

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I used the speedo from a '91 blazer. It fit right into the gauge cluster for my '79. Then just run your wires. Cost was $40.00 at a junkyard, and I got the rest of the '91 gauge cluster (they wouldn't sell the speedo alone) to keep around for spares. Turbocity also sells the in-line models here www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=16_24 Cost after shipping about $90-$100.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just go with a newer gauge cluster.

Anything '81 up is likely to have the VSS (at least provision for it) and if the cluster has a choke light, cut the wire (or if not present just pin it into the dash connector) that feeds the printed circuit board for choke and solder the wire from teh ECM for check engine to it.

Stock VSS is a simple 3 wire hookup. One to ground, one to ignition 12V (fused IIRC) and the other to the ECM. Pin A10 at the ECM in most cases.

Results vary without VSS...some have problems, some don't, but retrofitting a later instrument cluster is pretty simple compared to the rest of the TBI swap.

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, thanks a lot guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. basscat39

basscat39 Registered Member

painless wirings partnumber for the VSS for all TBI is #60115-- /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif