Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI increases/benefits

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Nov 12, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I started a topic a little while ago about the addition of fuel injection. For my tow vehicle that I have right not, I cant talk myself into $2500 or more for full fuel injection. So, I am looking into the Holley TBI setup that JEGs advertises for $700.
    I know someone was buying and installing this a little while back. Are you done? Or is there someone else?
    What kind of mileage increase did you get? I am looking more for performance reasons, but thats too hard to describe, it is too vehicle dependant. Currently I get 8 or 9 mpg. I would be happy to get over 10 and have better response and cold starts.

Thanks
    Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What Holley setup is this? I am dropping a 350 in my 85 this winter. Some of the guys in my club are pushing me to go with TBI instead of a q-jet. I am concerned of the expense. And, since the 85 doesn't have any computer controlled stuff, is it mechanically controlled? Or do the electronics come with this setup?

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

3. four_by_ken

As far as I know, it is a complete kit. I am doing this for a 454. But, I think they have both. I hope they do. If not chances are it would be for a 350. But, I think it is for both.

Check out JEGs web site. Its like $709 or something.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

4. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

I don't anyone who has used that kit. I have a good friend who is running the Pro-injection and he loves it.

I'd take the time and look around at junk yards and make some calls.

A good web site to find parts and prices is: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.car-part.com/>http://www.car-part.com/</a>

You should be able to find a GM TBI injection setup for under $500. I paid $800 for my TPI. I'm running about 350hp and I get 10 mpg around town. I'm sure I'll get near 12 on the highway.

It might take some time, but you'll find one if you look.

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

5. four_by_ken

The only thing with this idea is... It is a slightly modified motor...
    -cam
    -intake
    -headers
    -bored .060 over

I dont know how the TPI or stock TBI would react with it.
    I would love to go full blown fuel injection. Just too much money to spend on this particular truck.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    With those mod's I would go with the Holley projection unit.
    I have been running a Holley Pro-Jection Analog version since like 1994 ish.
    Best EFI/TBI for the dollar.
    Good luck

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The holley system is adjustable for modifications and will bolt on to most V8s. Although I like the GM system better it requires that you get a new chip burned when running modified cams and stuff. Which means more $$$.
    For what you want to do. I think the Holley will work just fine. Some people have had problems with leaky injectors after a few years. But other than that they work good.
    A buddy of mine has had projection on his Suburban for many years and he gets around 13-15 mpg highway. The only problem he had was a leaky injector which was easy to replace.
    You might also want to check out the Holley Comander TBI system I have heard it is a lot better than the Projection but it is about 200 dollars more.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>