Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI injector replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm in the midst of replacing the injectors on my TBI. The injectors are very resistant to seating all the way down into the pod. I think it's just because two different o-rings need to be compressed. What's the proper way to do this? Should I try to seat them before screwing the top on, or should I use the screw torque to squeeze it all together? I tried screwing it down, but it's getting pretty tight and I don't want to bust anything.

I'm also not 100% sure the injectors are oriented correctly. I have them so the elctrical contacts are left/right and the little nub on the injector is to the back.

Hopefully someone has done this recently and can help out. Google isn't helping...

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

they should seat pretty easy, i would not use the top to seat them becase it is a thin casting and i think it would break pretty easy. I would take them back out and make sure you have the orings on right and did the bore they go in is clean

3. Mastiff

Hmm. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. The old ones were also hard to get out. Not real hard, but I did need to grip them with pliers and they sort of popped out when I pulled.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

make sure that there is not a old oring still in there, also make sure the center tip is centered in the bore

5. Mastiff

I got it. I did use the screws to pull it together, but it wasn't much torque once I got it lined up right. My problem was that the little nub on the injector goes toward the back on one side and the front on the other.

Now I have "cop car" injectors. Time to get the chip tuned...

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Let us know how it runs after the re-program.