Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Injectors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Apr 30, 2003.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

In a TBI 350 do the Injectors wear out, go bad, get less efficient over time?

I'm looking at doing some work to my TBI unit amd was wondering if I should do something with them while I have it out. They are quite costly at $70 each so I didnt want to spend the money if it wasnt necessary /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In a TBI 350 do the Injectors wear out, go bad, get less efficient over time?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes. I've had to replace one injector. They also get clogged up with crap. I always run some RedLine Oil Fuel Injector Cleaner every couple of months.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Wow yeah my TBI [censored] has started doing stupid [censored] agin! on the way to work it throws a trouble code and then starts running like it has a HUGE cam in it a crazy lopey idle and smoking. So i get to work and then after work on the way home it shuts off so i go to median and after a few restarts and burnin tires off i made to a parking lot and then limpd it home and then today im messing around with the stuff under the hood unplugin all the tbi stuff to see if it would still run like crap like: the egr, tps, map, vac hoses, checking oil and tranny fluid and after a few cuss words the trouble code goes off and it runs right so i left it sitting in the driveway. Anyways i might sell it and get a first gen Camaro or Firebird! OR taking the TBI off and putting a ZZ4 intake on my truck with a 650 carb. idk bout the vac for the power brakes so i might have to use non power brakes! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Imagine TBI injectors are the same as TPI injectors at least in one regard...they can be sonically cleaned for something like $25. You can find places online that will do them.

Believe most or all of the companies will test and match them as well.

6. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

While TBI injectors do go bad occasionally, in my 14ish years in the parts business, all of which have been in a relatively high volume shop which I run the parts dept for, I have sold a total of six TBI injectors. Get this--all were "maintenance" i.e. none had failed. This is NOT saying they don't ever go bad, but as far as injectors go I don't think you could find a more durable injector than the GM TBI injector. FYI--for comparison purposes, I could not tell you how many hundreds of injectors I have sold for the GM vortec V-8's from '96-2000-- Just my $.02 Hope it helps.