Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI install for the Computer idiot...

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by nau81blazer, Nov 26, 2006.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey all,

Like I said that the top, i'm probably considered computer retarded in most Western Countries. I was wondering if anyone knows of a step by step install guide for installing tbi on an 81' K5. I passed out 3 times from the complexity of putting in an after market temp. gauge....Ok, i'm exagerating, but I do need lots of information that you guys would probably not normally need. Anyone know of a good guide or article? Thanks fellas!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

--Adam

2. nau81blazer

no one eh....?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Step by step I know of nothing unfortunately. Jagsthatrun.com has a book out, but unfortunately, it isn't truck specific, and a few things are different on the cars vs. trucks.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you had trouble putting in a temp gague you might want to re consider, first thing is do some research, what year setup are you going with?, what are your goals, do you have a stock engine?, would you be able to install a wiring harness?

5. nau81blazer

I was just joking about the temp. gauge thing. It wasn't bad at all. That being said I know there is ALOT more work involved doing a tbi swap. The main goal that I am after is better reliability. I've had enough with carbs. I've gone through 3 in the past 5 years. I drive between phoenix and flagstaff AZ alot, which is about a 6,000 ft difference in elevation. I would be nice to have computer that would adjust for me. My engine is a pretty gnarly (in my opinion) 383. So if you guys have any good info I'd love to hear it!! What year truck is a good one to source the parts out of? Are there any years I should stay away from? Thanks again!

--Adam

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

To run a hot 383 you'll need something like the EBL set up (see elsewhere on this forum under 'wow'). If you want to make life as easy as possible it'll cost more than if you pieced a system together. Buy a Painless Wiring TBI loom. It's a stand alone wiring loom that JUST does your TBI, also get a VSS from them. Go to the junk yard and get EVERYTHING off of a donor truck. The ECU (unless you buy outright from DynamicEFI, their EBL one) thew TB, all sensors, dizzy, the lot.
    The Painless wiring is a piece of cake to fit. Their instructions are very clear and their telephone tech people easy to deal with.
    Once you've fitted the wiring, installed all the sensors (inc an o2 sensor which will require a bung in your exhaust(fit 2 so you can tune with wideband if you want)) and fitted your TBI and new manifold (which you'll have to buy seperatly or modify a stock TBI one), in-line TBI fuel pump (Turbocity)(unless you install the TBI gas tank and intank pump-which I prefer.) you're ready to go.
    I don't think a stock '7747 will run a nasty 383, even with a 'custom' chip, that's why I suggested EBL. With the Embedded Lockers system, wideband and IAT tuning will be a doddle with the aid of an Ostrich and you'll have a sweet FI system. You WILL have to up your fuel pressure with an adjustable FPR and maybe even hi'flow injectors (check out Turbocity for these).
    It ain't the cheapest way to go but it's easy and you'll end up with what you want the first time.

7. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

Help

Since you are near phoenix, go see arizona tpi, I am doing tbi swap right now, and they are awesome, they have everything you need, and can answer your questions. When I get mine running, they are gonna burn a chip for me. :laugh:

8. nau81blazer

Where is this Arizona TPI place? Would they do the whole install for me you think? I hate to be lame, but I really don't have time to work on it anymore. Any chance you could pass along the number? Thanks for the info!!!!

-Adam

9. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

717 S. Hacienda Dr #104
    Tempe, AZ 85281
    www.arizonatpi.com
    480-921-2500
    They are just off the 101 and university. as far as I know, they install too.