Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Knowledge Needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Aug 15, 2003.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Where is the best place on the net for general TBI knowledge? I'm not trouble shooting just trying to learn more about my trucks. My main curiousity is what is involved (for the TBI) in a sbc to bbc swap. Can the computer be modified to deal with larger cams? If so, how big can I go?

Inquiring minds want to know... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

thirdgen TBI forum is probably about your best bet, and the diy-efi board (which has a GMECM section) has some searchable archives IIRC.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm with you on this one...I have a box full of wires and TBI stuff ready to go... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

What is involved (for the TBI) in a sbc to bbc swap.?
    Not much. The SBC TBI is almost the same as the BBC. The wireing is the same and everything will plug in except the IAC. You can get a adapter for that. They even use the same ECM but you need a 454 chip. And of course the Throttlebody/injectors are bigger on the BBC.
    Can the computer be modified to deal with larger cams
    Yes you will need a chip burned to match the cam and fuel curve.You can also get adjustable MAP sensors and fuel pressure regulators for fine tuning
    How big can I go?
    It depends. The stock 2" TB will only flow enough fuel/air for around 400 Hp so you wont need a real big cam. The problem with TBI systems is the MAP sensor. It needs vacume to operate right. with larger cams you loose a lot of vacume espically at idle and low RPMs. Even with reprogramed chips it is hard to get a lot of HP out of a TBI system and still maintain good driveability they just aren't made for it.
    The TPI system with its MAF sensor is a lot better suited for higher HP mods. In my opinion If you want over 400 hp and still have good driveability TPI is the way to go.

6. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Like I said, Thunder's da man /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. nvrenuf

WOW!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif There's a lot of SWEET info here!! Thanks guys!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm glad to hear that the basic swap is relatively easy. I want to put a 454 in my crew cab at some point so that is real good news! I'm happy to hear that I can make the crew cab a lot stronger and retain it's wonderful reliability. I was hoping that my 91 K5 might accept a healthy 454 but it doesn't sound like it will like my motor, no big deal though it was just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hey Corey, how are those axles coming?

8. nvrenuf

Thunder, what is the best way to hook up a fuel pressure guage on the TBI? I have one on my other truck (w/ isolator and guage inside the cab) and I love it! It take a lot of guess work out of diagnosis. I want to get the same set up for my crew cab with a little guage in the unused (clock) spot

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Dont know. I have never installed one permenatly. I just tap a tee fitting at the fuel filter and use a mechanical guage when I am setting fuel pressure. I guess you could do the same thing with a electric guage and a sending unit.
    Dont use a mechanical fuel guage inside the cab. Extreme Fire Hazzard!
    You can buy fittings that tap where the lines hook up to the TBI too. I think Turbocity.com sells them They might even have the whole set up.
    Anyplace between the fuel filter and the TB will show the correct pressure at the injectors

10. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]

Dont use a mechanical fuel guage inside the cab. Extreme Fire Hazzard!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the reason for the isolator on my other truck. I have a mechanical guage inside and the isolator is on the engine side of the firewall. The line that runs from the guage to the islolator has some nonflammable liquid in it, it's all Autometer stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Corey, how are those axles coming?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna tear into them this weekend. Time to put my sand blasting cabinet to work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif