Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI motor buying ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Jul 25, 2004.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 87 blazer with a tbi 350 that is getting really tired. I want to put in a new one with the most power I can get while keeping it compatable with the stock tbi set up(no chips etc.). I would like to find a crate motor not rebuild the one I have. Anyone know a good reputable company thats not too expensive?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a long block from Pace Performance they are all GM hi-po stuff /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How about a crate HT-383

4. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

I bought a complete long block from pace performance. They have several models and if you email them or call they will give you some guidance on what to go with. Remember if you get an exact replacement for your year and model I think you get a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty with it.

Keeping the old motor to rebuild and use at a later date. They yellow freighted the motor close to me and that keep the shipping cost down.

Enjoy!

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

go to your local GM dealer they will have a list of what crates they have in stock. my dad bought the 285 horse one for his 90 burb, all of the motors carry the 3 year 36,000 warranty. My uncle who worked for GM forever and a day says the 330 horse that he is loking at buying for his 91 long bed will work with the factory stuff.

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I thought my stock TBI stuff would run that GM330 horse. I got less than 5k miles out of it and had to replace all the pistons. They were all burnt and shot, had many people look at them, and they all told me it was b/c I was starving it of gas and then causing the pistons to heat up. I replaced the pistons, and the stock throttle body with a Holly 670 CFM TB, had a custom chip burnt and I am happy now. Just my $0.02.

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Oh, and the 330 horse engine only has a 12 month 12k mile warranty on it, parts only b/c it is a performance engine. That screwed me b/c I had had the motor for a year and a half, so there was NOTHING the guy at the dealer could do for me even though I only had 5k on it.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

There is no way stock TBI will run on the 330hp HO 350. It will run way to lean and blow.. Wrong cam, too much compression. To run a HO 350 you need a new chip burned, more fuel and other TB mods.
    Also the most HP you will see out af stock SBC TBI is around 280. It just cant flow enough to get much more HP.

This is a Very nice TBI engine:CHEVY 350/310 HP 4 BOLT TBI BALANCED ENGINE
    $2395 including shipping is a good price.

Yeah I know its on E-bay but the guy has good feedback and from my experience with TBI. It is bult right. It comes with everything you need. I would buy it.
    BTW most all other crate TBI engines are 2 bolt mains.
    To get the most out of that engine you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I dont think you will see 310 HP. I'm sure that is a flywheel rating. Acual SAE Net will prolly be around 250+ hp. Still not bad.

The Pace performance engines mentioned in eariler posts are also good.
    http://paceperformance.com

9. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does anyone else know anything about the tbi engines on ebay. That looks like the best deal around but I am not sure about buying an engine off ebay, seems a little scary too me...

10. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

The motor on eBay is rebuilt. They don't tell you what the crank is ground to, 10/10 30/30 who knows. What kind of rods? What kind of bolts?

The pace performance motors are new.