Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI motor in a 72 K5?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LucasJ03, Aug 30, 2004.

1. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifanyone that has done this if you could give me some things you ran into that you had to change, and how you wired the electrical into your fuse box.
    Thanks
    Lucas /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

TBI shouldn't need to be wired into your fuse box. It is a stand alone FI system like TPI is.

There are only a few wires you need to run to get TBI or TPI to work. A painless wiring harness makes things a nice simple clean install.

Harley

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have TBI on my 72 and love it... its awesome on the trail. The only issue I had was the return line... wiring was a snap (I traded someone some parts to wire it for me) just ask JDBlazer about it and he (jeff) can tell you

4. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

I already have a tank from an 89 K5 so I have a return line already. I'm thinking I just need power to the ignition and to the starter and then all the wires to my gauges and that's it. I hope at least.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There are only a couple wires that have to be hooked up for the computer with TBI/TPI. ECM power, ECM ground, fuel pump relay wire, crank signal wire, and maybe a few others. They are all easy and straight forward.

Harley

6. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

I retrofitted a TBI system onto my '72 C10, 454 TBI, 350 injectors, 4.3L chips, TBI--> Qjet adapter and edelbrock performer intake manifold. Did all the wiring myself, like said above its easy with a painless harness but I took the difficult route and made a harness from an '89 truck and '88 suburban harness myself, some sites that are very handy:
    www.chevythunder.com
    www.diy-efi.org
    www.gmecm.com