Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi motor, need more power!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Dec 1, 2002.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i was going to post this in the chevy ifs board but i figured it would be seen better here. i have a 93 chevy x-cab with 35x12.5 on it, stock gears (3.73??) does anybody know some weekend bolt ons that will improve power. i found this website www.cfm-tech.com, they alot of tbi stuff for sale, how effective do you think that stuff would be, injector spaces bigger bore throttle body, air flow enhancer, adj. press reg. thanks for the input in advance, also i was only want to spend maybe a couple hundred a month so if there are any other add ons you can think of let me know both the pros and cons. thanks again. chris

2. It's kind of funny I wind up talking about my wifes truck here allmost as much as my Blazer. Maybe I should post some pick's of it on my web site. Any way her truck is an 88 c/k 3/4 4x4 wich I have gone allmost as far as I dare go with a FI motor and I love it. Its bored and stroked to the 383, It has tri Y headers,Comp extreem 4x4 cam, TBI spacer, six pack ECM chip that lets me change from econo to full power and more just by pushing a button, and a host of other mods. I say go for it! Just plan a head so all your add ons will match and help each other. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

35'a and 3.73's???? Try changing the gears!

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yeah, change gears first. 3.73 is a little high for 35" tires.

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

well here is the thing about the gears though, i plan on in near future hopefully, going to 3/4 ton 14ff rear d44 ford sfa conversion. dont really want to waste money on gears when i wont be able to use them, unless i upgrade to a 14 ff now and gear it all to 4.56 i just dont want to have 8lug and 6 lug. decisions decisions!! lol

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">First, put the right gears in it.

Once you have that straightened out, get a good exhaust, an ignition system and mabye a different intake. The bottleneck on these motors is the heads and cam. Dont be afraid to mess with it because it's EFI, ECM's can be reprogramed fairly easily

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have to go with everyone else and say do the gears first.
    How often do you use 4wd? You could just go to a 14FF (they even came with 4.56 from the factory!) and leave the front stock. Get another rim and cheep tire and toss another spair in the bed. Then dot the sas when you have the time.

As for motor mods I like to start with all the things that "free up" HP...not exactly make more. Things a elec. fan, headers, exhaust, etc. Then go for things that will let you get more air into the motor. I believe that a 454 tbi will bolt onto your motor you just have to port the intake to clear the larger butterflies. Put in a K&amp;N filter, then go for a new intake manifold. If all that isn't enough put in a 383.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I an running all the TBI mods you mentioned and then some. Air flow enhancer, Injector spacer, 1/2" TB spacer, adjustable fuel press reg, flow matched injectors, adjustable MAP sensor, K&amp;N. Yes they do add More power espically on the low end. They are Probabally the cheapest power for $$$ you can spend on a TBI. They work just fine with a stock chip. I get my stuff fromturbocity.com.
    But as with most mods they work best with headers and a good exhaust. If you dont have a high performance exhaust do that first. A good exahust system will alow you to get the most out of any future mods you may want to put on.

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Besides, lower gears will help your tranny last a lot longer...I knew a guy that had 39's on 3.08 gears...he ate trannies for dinner.

10. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i apreciate all the advice, i guess i should have mentioned, i already have true duals with flowmasters on it and am trying to find a set of headers, which set is good, i was thinking jba stainless ones. also i thought i heard of people making the 14ff a 6lug /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. thanks

chris