Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI on 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LazMcSwaz, Feb 25, 2007.

1. LazMcSwaz

LazMcSwaz Registered Member

So my friend and I went down to the local auto wreckers the other day to poke our heads around to see what they had for 350 TBI trucks that were fairly fresh. We came accross an '88 that had JUST arrived, so we went to work taking the throttle body, intake, wiring harness and ECM. Once we got home we layed it all out and were kind of set back on how much work this was going to be. The number one thing we're stumped on is out of all the wires in the wiring harness, WHAT EXACTLY DO WE NEED TO KEEP and what we can weed out of the wiring mess. We also snipped all the wires that went to the fuse box because the yard was closing and we knew by after work the next day it would be all gone. Anyone have a typical wiring diagram that STRICTLY runs the engine?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You should have just unbolted the harness from the fuse block under the hood. One screw in the middle and it would come off.

3. LazMcSwaz

LazMcSwaz Registered Member

Yeah that would have been the smart thing to do. But it was completely caked with ****, so we didn't see it, and we were in a crunch. If need be we can always go back and get it and reconnect all the wires. That still doesn't solve our problem tho.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, i'd be interested to know what wires in the fuse block go to where as i have a complete harness that was unbolted from the fuse panel and i'm planning on a dyno run with my new engine and want to use this harness for this purpose but need to know what wires are hot, ground, and ECM power and any other wire(s) that need hooked up.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  5. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here is an ECM pinout / wiring diagram. I'd personally run all the emissions systems the TBI truck had, less the AIR injection pump. If it had a smog pump, you'd need to get it disabled in the prom first. Otherwise run the charcoal canister, EGR etc, they do nothing but benefit your rig.

http://www.chevythunder.com/1227747_ecm_198892.htm

7. liv24wheel

liv24wheel Registered Member

To make the TBI motor run just make sure that everything that is in the wiring harness going to the ECM is hooked up?

Also, how do you set up an ignition switch? I have a four pin connector coming off of an MSD ignition.

Kinda lost, havent done much wiring before and trying to get through the learning curve.

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not entirely sure what is involved with the MSD stuff, but yeah, basically need to supply a few power feeds, some grounding, and a few inputs from the truck's electrical system...

Do some searches on TBI, and you should be able to find some great info about doing the swap :)